1 Year in Reno and just discovering the amazing trails

Brad

I moved to Reno about a year ago from Kansas. I have always been into cars and trucks but trucks didn't make as much sense out there as they do here. I don't know any off roaders here but I picked up an 85 F-250 auto with a 460 BBF and 1 tons. It's a big truck but it gets along the basic trails quite well.

I know the normal route is to get a smaller vehicle and swap in the axles from a larger one but I am going to go the alternate direction. I plan to shorten the frame to get a better wheel base and turning radius. I have a lot of experience in metalwork and with vehicles but not a lot in terms of 4x4s. I am sure I will pick up a lot of useful information from the forum.

Shortening the frame is going to be a later project for now I am just waiting on parts from rockauto to get the truck running reliably. The electric fuel pump that was on it when I bought it started making a lot of noise and finally couldn't keep up with the carb.

That is all I have for now.

Thanks
Brad

Brad

Welcome aboard! Lots or mild to wild trails in the area, plus scenic and historic routes. Let’s see more pix of ur rig!
IMG_20200313_171634.jpgIMG_20200307_191134.jpgIMG_20200307_103426.jpgIMG_20200307_103423.jpgIMG_20200307_103420.jpg

Like I said it's a big truck haha but I think it's a good base. My only plans in the short term are slightly bigger tires, replace the electric fuel pump with a mechanical, get her tuned up nicely, setup on board air, and then add a backup battery. For now I am more than happy with exploring the easier trails and doing some camping. That's what I hope to be doing this weekend if my parts come in! Got to get out of the house haha

grumpyoldretiredcop

Premium Member
Welcome, Brad! There are a lot of trails/Forest Service roads, etc. around here that your rig will handle just fine. I'm driving a stock Tahoe for the moment while slowly working on my newest project XJ - I'll be looking to do some trail riding this spring and summer until I get it done.

Brad

Thank you for the suggestions. I replaced my fuel pump so she is back up and running great again. Definitely hitting some forest roads this weekend. I am mostly hear to learn more about how to setup a vehicle right for the more hardcore trails. I will definitely checkout that website. I have already gone down the forest road south of gander mountain and up into the hills off of summerset in NW Reno. Both are quite fun for me.