14 bolt or toyota T100 Rear end

CancerCruiser

I have a 73 FJ40. I am moving the rear end back about 4". I am getting rid of the off set rear end and the T-case. I am going with the mini truck T-case with 5 to 1 gears. I was also going to put 3" wheel spacers on the front to get a little wider. Also, I have a 14 bolt rear end and the problem is that the front end will still have 6 lugs and the back will have 8 lugs. I need to know if anybody knows were I can get a adaptor to go from 6 lugs to 8 lugs for the front of my Fj40. I also have a T-100 rear end that is 6 lug. Would it be better to go with that or just stick with the 14 bolt? I was going to shave the 14 bolt and but 4.88 gearsand a detriot locker in it. Also do the 1410 yoke conversion.

spoon

Have you considered swapping out the front axle also? A Dana 60 front will be 8-lug to match your rear 14-bolt. I would highly recommend going with 1- ton axles to limit axle breakage issues and to give yourself the ability to run bigger tires in the future if you choose. If you don't go with 1-tons now you will be doing it later anyways.:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :yes:

Sauce

14 bolts are large and heavy. I would go with an IFS mini truck axle. They are good for up to 38" tires stock and 40's with cromos. The ifs axles are also a little wider than the standard axles and you can get them at PNP fo' cheap.

spoon

Sauce said:
I would go with an IFS mini truck axle. They are good for up to 38" tires stock and 40's with cromos.
Those axles will work fine with 38"s for runs to the mall and grocery store. Real rockcrawling with that set up=
:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: The initial costs of swapping in 1-tons scares most people away at first, but after you start experiencing the frequent breakage with toothpick axles and the costs and hassels associated with those parts failing you will realize that you should have gone 1-ton to begin with. There are several guys on this board (including myself) that have been in your same situation with a choice of axles to swap and chose to go the cheap route and have ended up spending more than the costs of a Dana 60 front by constantly having to fix their "it will be strong enough" toothpick axles.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

CancerCruiser

I would like to go with 1-ton axles. Finding a dana 60 is easyer said then done, but I had considerd buying the pro-rock dana 60 from dynatrac. Or do you think they are a waste of mony. They are a lot of money but they come complete.

JOE THE TOE

SPOON SPEAKS THE TRUTH,I MYSELF HAVE BEEN THROUGH 8 DIFFERENT SET'S OF AXLES TRYING TO KEEP UPGRADING FROM AXLES THAT EVENTUALLY KEEP BREAKING ON ME .....SHOULD HAVE JUST SAVED UP A LITTLE MORE MONEY IN THE BEGINNING AND DONE 60 & 70 RIGHT OFF THE BAT.:yes:BUILD IT YOUR SELF,MUCH CHEAPER AND IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL,ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD TO HELP YOU THAT HAVE ALREADY DONE IT.CALL JAKE @ TRUCKTOWN & HE CAN GIVE YOU GOOD PRICES AND GET YOU GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WITH NO BULLSH!T OR TRYING TO SELL YOU CRAP YOU DON'T NEED!

Last edited:

spoon

CancerCruiser said:
I would like to go with 1-ton axles. Finding a dana 60 is easyer said then done
Its true you aren't gonna find one laying around at P-N-P and a lot of wrecking yards know what they're worth and usually try to sell them for way more than market value. I would recommend looking for them in the for sale sections of 4xwebsites such as Pirate4x4. Usually people there are selling them for reasonable prices or at least the usual prices of $800-$1200. Also try checking the for sale sections of the Truckee and Tahoe newspapers. Quite a few old 1 ton plow trucks around up here with D60 fronts that people are looking to just get rid of. Usually they want you to take the whole truck though but then you can sell some of the other parts and make some of your money back. Just be patient and keep looking around, you will find one. Just remember 1-ton is mo' fun.
:yes:

rusty_tlc

You gonna fix your oil consumption problem? The blue fog makes it easy to find you. :D

Good to see you posting here. What transmission are you going to use?

Dirty Harry

Staff member
spoon said:
Those axles will work fine with 38"s for runs to the mall and grocery store. Real rockcrawling with that set up=
:nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Actually I have seen guys running 40s on Toyota mini-truck axles run some of the hardest trails in the country (Independence, Coyote, Upper Helldorado) without breakage. I have a friend in Denver who drove his truck to Moab on 39.5" Boggers, ran Upper Helldorado, and drove it home.

I think that we need to know more about CancerCruiser's rig before making axle suggestions. What motor? How much tire? The T-100 axle is light and has a lot of ground clearance, but light and FJ-40 are kind of exclusive of each other. The 14 Bolt is heavy and hangs low, but if you are going to shave it then I guess you already know that. The problem is there is no easy way to match up the lug patterns, but you already know that too...

CancerCruiser

Hey rusty_tlc I am going to try to fix the oil consuption problem if I have enough money, the T-case started to make really bad noises, and the welded rear end started to go.
I have a tierd small block 350 with a turbo 350 tranny. I would like to keep that set up or maybe go with a 700R tranny. I am running 36 swampers now but I have a set of 37 MTRs that I am going to run. The front end is a fj40 axle and mini truck knuckles for disc brakes. I have a set bobby long fields for the birfields. I broke the all pros in the first run at moon rocks and put three cracks in the other side. So a won't recommend buying those.
Thanks for all the in put, if I don't get back to guys some days it because I am having bad computer problems.

rusty_tlc

You might want to give Shawn a call, he just bought a TBI V8 for his 40 and it came with a 700r4 attached. I have a partial t-case left over from the Orion, the gears and body are there, let me know if you are interested.

CancerCruiser

If Shawn is not using the 700R4 tranny then I would be interested in it. I don't think I have his number. I have a mini truck T-case that works and I am just going to but the 5 to 1 gears in it. If you need any help on your cruiser let me know.