1969 Ford Bronco

3rd Petal

Added another vehicle to my collection of likely to never be completed project vehicles.

This one starts with a 69 Bronco bought sight unseen just out of Denver Colorado, with plans of a "Roadkill-esk" style roadtrip back home with a detour through Moab and then across Nevada on hwy 50.

It quickly turned into a major debacle of blown out tires and catastrophic engine failure, and ended with the poor thing being drug home behind a U-haul

So a new set of rings and rod bearings got it up and running once again. Also, it revealed the fact that at some point someone swapped the 170 I6 for a 250 I6 from a Falcon, which I was already somewhat aware of by sign of the smashed in front sump oil pan on it.

Last edited:

3rd Petal

Once it was running, I had to get rid of the nasty, mis-matched junk tires that were on it, only one of which was an original from when I bought the truck, the rest were accumulated in various towns between Denver and here.
So with a set of Wild Horses fender flares and some fender trimming I had the worn out 33x12.50's and old "Cyclone" wheels from my fullsize Bronco on there

After a few weeks I ended up robbing some 33x12.50 Interco TruXus MT's from another project. Also added some 6" LED lights, with old KC Light covers so it wouldn't spoil the look

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
This one starts with a 69 Bronco bought sight unseen just out of Denver Colorado, with plans of a "Roadkill-esk" style roadtrip back home with a detour through Moab and then across Nevada on hwy 50.

It quickly turned into a major debacle of blown out tires and catastrophic engine failure, and ended with the poor thing being drug home behind a U-haul
It sounds like your trip home was a little more Roadkill-esque than you were planning on! Hopefully it retrospect it was a good time, cool rig.

3rd Petal

That's kind of what I thought. How are the roads there right now?
Roads are pretty good, a lot nicer than most of the dirt roads out there. There were a couple spots right near the hot springs where there was a lot of standing water in the road, but there were ways around if you didn't want to go through

3rd Petal

Took the old Bronco down to Lodi to Wild Horses Round-Up the other weekend. With the exception of having to take the hood off to keep it cool on the way back up the hill, it did pretty good. While we were there I picked up one of their new 23 gallon fuel tanks and threw that in in the parking lot, which was a big improvement over the 8 gallon reserve tank I drove there on.

By far mine was probably the biggest turd there...

Last edited:

3rd Petal

Been using this thing as my daily driver for the last year, and it’s gone on a handful more camping and dirt road exploring trips, but nothing too hardcore yet

But, I have been slowly gathering parts as my budget will allow, so I’m hoping next weekend, time willing, I will have a good update with the next stage of the build

3rd Petal

Wild Horses 2.5” leaf packs and coils, and a high pinion Dana 44 narrowed to early bronco width, and filled with a zip locker, chromos, and 4.09 gears

3rd Petal

Got a set of 90’s f250 shock towers

Just tack welded in for now, until I can cycle the suspension and double check length and clearance

3rd Petal

Longer brake hoses, listed as being for a 79 F-350 4x4. $6 from rock auto

The track bar bracket on a fullsize axle is part of the radius arm “wedges”, compared to being on a bracket on the housing on an early bronco axle. This made it so my track bar was about 4” too short. So I cut the end off the track bar, sleeved some tubing over and put a Heim on the end. Not as fancy as the Wild Horses adjustable track bar, but it should do the trick

3rd Petal

Drove this thing down to Lodi for the Wild Horses round up. It was all pavement, but it was still fun, and the bronco didn’t have a single issue

That 250 i6 has probably 5-6k miles since I shoved new rings in it, and it’s starting to come up on blow by again. So my quick hone job must not have been good enough. When I did it I knew there were nasty spots in the cylinder walls the hone didn’t clean up, but back then I just wanted to make the 6 hold together until I got my v-8 built. So my v-8 is built now, a fuel injected HO 5.0, and I’ve got an np435 with Dana 20 adapter ready to go behind it. But the more I think about it, the more I’m tempted to keep the 6 and 3 speed. How it is now, it does everything I ask of it, and at the show and shine I got way more people interested in it than either of the mustang/explorer 5.0 Broncos on either side of me. So I dunno, I’ll have to think about it a lot, but this thing might stay pretty mild compared to my original plans

wrenchjunkie

Clifford Performance makes some nice headers and Offenhauser has a real nice dual port (split runner, primary/secondary from carb to head) that accentuates the low end torque while still letting it breath 4500 +- rpm. More gears would probably still be nice though.

3rd Petal

Patched the rusted out driver floor pan

And painted some rubberized undercoating on the floor

Then put down some sound deadening material