1969 Ford Bronco

3rd Petal

Ended up sticking with a 250 i6 for now. My old motor needed some machine work to be “right” again, but I was able to get a good block from a buddy of mine. So I tore that block down and built it with flat top pistons from a 255 v-8, and a comp cams 260/260 cam

Modified the oil pan so hopefully it won’t hit my track bar and front diff anymore

Also got an eBay china stainless header, but it is designed for a144/170/200 with a high mount starter, so I had to do some ugly things to it to clear a 250 starter and the Bronco frame rail

Wrapped the header to hide all the bent and bashed ugliness

jfrey123

This is a cool build. I saw an episode of EngineMasters where they show hp loss is really minimal when hammering a header, so your ugliness is probably superficial.

3rd Petal

Re-did the steering, went tie rod over with "1 ton" tie rod ends and 1 1/2" .250 wall tubing, and built a track bar riser on the axle to keep the geometry right

3rd Petal

Over a year, finally gonna update this....
Back in July we ran Rubicon in it. Got a set of Terralow 3.15 transfer case gears, a lock-rite in the rear, and some 35's on it.

Manual steering and 35's sucked on the 'Con, so I went to picknpull and grabbed an EPS unit out of a Saturn Vue

Also smashed the hell out of my rockers. They were rotted anyways....

3rd Petal

Gonna take this thing to Moab this year instead of the Fullsize. Figured a winch would be a wise addition, but I didn't really want to change the look the Bronco has now but putting a winch bumper or anything on it. And a full-size winch wouldn't fit in behind the bumper. So I ended up with a 5500 pound side by side winch, which was cheap and fits nicely behind the stock bumper. I know it's not "really" a big enough winch, but I think if will be enough to get me out of a spot if needed...
Widened the spool so it could fit a little over 50' of 5/16 steel cable, and a home made cable tensioner plate using some 1/4" plate and spring loaded door hinges

3rd Petal

I’m happy with it, it was $10 for the unit and $50 for a stand alone brain box to run it. A lot cheaper than a power box and pump. It seems to have just as much assist if not more than conventional power steering, plus I still have assist if the motor dies

3rd Petal

I think it’s just a pulse wave generator to emulate the VSS signal the Saturn ECU normally sends to the power steering unit

DirtyChemist

Are those welds on the bottom going to be strong enough?
That's a pretty serious ATV winch. Any idea what your bronco weighs fully loaded for Rubicon?

Any more photos of the cable tensioneryou built? Sounds pretty interesting after widening the winch.

3rd Petal

On the bottom of the winch plate? Yeah, it’s angle iron, not flat bar, so it has the vertical fully welded to each other also. Can’t tell from that picture though. I don’t think it weighs much more than 4k, if it weighs that much at all.

I don’t have any more pictures of widening the drum and building the tensioner, I will try to get some pictures though. It was easy to do, drum was just 2” od tube, and it has a 5/16 hex shaft that connects the motor to the planetary through the center of the drum. So I sacrificed a long 5/16 Allen wrench to make that reach again

Cabesmojo

So I just joined and this was the first thread I've read, and I'm glad I did. It's awesome following your build progress. This all really took me back to working on my dad's '68 that we still have. I should dust that poor guy off and really put some work back into it.