1969 Highboy

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Finished for now.
1626898522272.png
1626898513673.png

Had the truck out at a youth outdoor skills camp that I volunteered at this past weekend. Slept in the bed. Was a nice night!
1626898634023.png

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Replaced my front pinion seal which was a bitch due to a number of stupid things related to tools, part numbers, etc. In the end, I got the seal in, and got the nut torqued down to just over 200 ft. lbs ev en though I wasted a perfectly good seal. Never had this much trouble doing a pinion seal before. Now I need to refill the damn diff.

Also, i'm having a funky issue with my lights. The headlights and interior are flickering/dimming but not going out, and the taillights are going out completely, but the brake lights still work? This only occurs when the headlights are turned on. I replaced the headlight switch since it would get burning hot, and the dimmer didnt really work anyway. I also installed a relay harness between the switch and the headlights, so the load isn't running through the headlight switch anymore. The problem still exists. I'm thinking there's either a short or a bad ground somewhere in the back of the truck, since a few times I was able to get the lights to either fix themselves, or act up, by shaking/jumping on the drivers rear corner.

This started after I had the truck out at winnemucca ranch, so I'm thinking something rattled loose or got pinched after driving on all that washboard.

Also did some truck stuff this weekend.
DEF00BBD-FD93-472F-AFB8-03DB96B7ECE1.jpeg619980E0-F684-400D-8CF7-1F22E12474C2.jpeg64A34657-9866-4C3A-8A6A-C98C7A167745.jpegFBC9A691-30B0-4EF4-807E-40F58AC419D0.jpegF5E1D38E-504E-41CA-A2E1-221A4B871357.jpeg

Last edited:

3rd Petal

The bulb sockets, I think I’ve had to re-solder grounds in them to fix issues like that. You could strip some wire and wrap it around the bulb, then put the other end to ground, just as a quick test

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Sounds like a loose ground somewhere
The bulb sockets, I think I’ve had to re-solder grounds in them to fix issues like that. You could strip some wire and wrap it around the bulb, then put the other end to ground, just as a quick test

Yeah, but the ammeter needle was dipping which maybe makes it sound like more of a short? Either way.

I got in a big enough fight with my wife that she is going to take the tripped we had planned this weekend by herself, so I should have ample time to dig around the wiring in the truck, even if it takes all weekend. "sorry, I didnt have enough time to fix the rocker on your nova, guess you cant drive it in hot august nights this year."

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Well shoot. Now I think I need to install some new heads on our nova before hot august nights….there goes my truck weekend

DJRENO

Premium Member
You're being optimistic re: HAN. At the rate things are going the COVID Nazis will have us back in lockdown by then.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
You're being optimistic re: HAN. At the rate things are going the COVID Nazis will have us back in lockdown by then.

Eh. We get masks tomorrow, but theres not gonna be a total lockdown by Wednesday of next week......tho....famous last words.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Well, i cleaned some grounds and tightened some stuff up, then drove it all before and all during hot august nights with no lighting issues.

My truck was the only one of 3 in our "family" that made it through the whole even sans issue. Wifes nova needed new heads a week before HAN, then ended up getting a flat tire on the last night and wouldnt start when we tried to move it after the flat. Womp Womp.

Brother in laws Nash only was drivable one day, and it broke down multiple times that day requiring me to push it into the show at the Atlantis (rolling my eyes).

The old Ferd drew plenty of attention and drove on through the traffic and heat.

FA5DE10F-31F7-4BEE-BA79-229E9DDF04B0.jpegD851E969-4426-4935-853F-FF81ABD45684.jpegC2CDEDEE-1EC5-45CF-805D-4BBD2FD3F6B0.jpeg622A94FA-465C-4D76-AD81-CE1077BE3508.jpeg

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
As much as you say you hate this truck, I think you actually love it ! lol I don't blame you, it's a bitchen truck.

I'd love it if it wasnt rotted out :-(

Funny thought though......I was at the jeep dealership today dropping off our rubicon for service and was checking out new power wagons. Then I did some math. $15k down.....A $1000 car payment, plus $1200 a year in registration, plus the insurance increases.......

Suddenly I didnt hate my paid for 50 year old POS daily driver as much as I did yesterday...

willys dave

I'd love it if it wasnt rotted out :-(

Funny thought though......I was at the jeep dealership today dropping off our rubicon for service and was checking out new power wagons. Then I did some math. $15k down.....A $1000 car payment, plus $1200 a year in registration, plus the insurance increases.......

Suddenly I didnt hate my paid for 50 year old POS daily driver as much as I did yesterday...
The Power Wagons are awesome, kind of like a Rubicon on steroids. I keep my 2008 JKUR that I bought in '07 because # 1, it's been paid for, for a long time and, it came with a free lifetime warranty and in all this time, I've never paid over a hundred bucks for any repair that has been done. Also, the '61 Willys costs 50 bucks a year to register and never needs a smog check and the insurance on it is pretty cheap also. The biggest expenditures on these Jeeps now days is gas.

willys dave

Thank you Joe Biden
I'm ashamed to say my older Brother in Alaska voted for this Ahole. I asked him last night how he liked the gas prices now, how he is so commanding and on point during his slurs, and of course the handling of Afghanistan. He pretty much agreed with everything I said. What can I say, he's an old fart ! oh wait, so am I, damn it !

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
The Power Wagons are awesome, kind of like a Rubicon on steroids. I keep my 2008 JKUR that I bought in '07 because # 1, it's been paid for, for a long time and, it came with a free lifetime warranty and in all this time, I've never paid over a hundred bucks for any repair that has been done. Also, the '61 Willys costs 50 bucks a year to register and never needs a smog check and the insurance on it is pretty cheap also. The biggest expenditures on these Jeeps now days is gas.

I've had my eye on a PW for a long time, hopefully if things stay okay with the economy I can maybe realize that goal in the next year or two. Gotta get the Rubicon paid off though and will need to get some cash togerher for a down payment since we wont have a trade.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Wife ran off with the Rubicon for the weekend so I was forced to take this thing out into the desert for some shooting this weekend.

Check out that crazy 3/4 ton flex bro!

1631739478341.png

1631739487857.png
1631739493931.png
1631739502421.png