1987 Jeep yj

4x4Rice

I’m new here. I took my yj the other day to do a couple trails and going up hills it just loses power and dies. It has a 4.3 liter 4 speed trans with 37 tires and Dana 44 axles. Can anyone help me out and tell me why I’m losing power? Could it be a fearing problem?

Bill

It could a weak fuel pump. Had the same problem with a K5 blazer. Good on the flats , and weak on any kind of an incline.

4x4Rice

it has a inline electric fuel pump do you have an recommendations on what kind and how big? It has a stock gm carb nothing fancy.

4x4Rice

do you have any recommendations for inline electric fuel pump? It’s a Stock gm carb nothing fancy.

Bill

Is your in line pump an after market add on? Quick fix. If so you may be trying to pull fuel through the factory system. Which will get you home. But less than ideal. Not familiar with the yj. But probably has an in tank pump.

Bill

Is your in line pump an after market add on? Quick fix. If so you may be trying to pull fuel through the factory system. Which will get you home. But less than ideal. Not familiar with the yj. But probably has an in tank pump.
Regardless of weather it's an in tank electric ,or block mechanical. An in line electric is trying to pull fuel through the existing system which doesn't work.

wrund

I wouldn't change any parts just yet. You said it has a carb? Could be it's flooding out when going up hills, especially with too much fuel pressure such as using an electric fuel pump and no regulator.