1989 Cherokee

DirtyChemist

Well-known member
Premium Member
Grizzly locker installed. Measured 10 thousandths the first time I had it in, removed it, and now measures 12 thousandths. I’m over it and if the gears blow up due to being 2 thousandths out of tolerances I’ll know why.


a7e98067abd8bbdd80b07b85425940f2.jpg



Stage 8 lock nuts and Yukon 35 spline hubs installed. Again. For the third time except now I used blue loctite so they’re staying in. Also felt like being cheap and used RTV on the Ruffstuff diff cover. I wanted a lube locker, and I’ll buy one after I have to tear this off once. Only needs brake pads to put the calipers on and the Artec truss and it could be installed. No idea if I want to start fully welding the truss without being ready to install the axle. I fear having it fully welded and being off a few degrees and requiring lots of work.
109f7d430a465b55c996734164fa82bc.jpg
 

DirtyChemist

Well-known member
Premium Member
Stock steering box drilled and tapped for hydro assist.
Started with a 1/8” pilot hole and stepped it up three or four times before stopping at 29/64.
Harbor freight 1/4 NPT tap cut just fine. I didn’t cut the tap to make a bottoming tap. I need to find what size fitting I’ll need for hydraulic hoses and get an NPT to AN fitting. This is definitely more intimidating than challenging. Having a reason to walk away, or only an hour to work on it seemed to help. I’d drill a few seconds, remove chips, and keep going. I used the grease you can see in the first photo on the drill bits and it helped pull chips out while drilling.

2633958c0a19c62a7426c8ababaa361a.jpg




e5278d9b3ee709508d0f8075b6d770da.jpg
 
Top