2001 TJ dash switch question

Simple Man

Okay, I just picked up a 2001 Jeep TJ Sahara.

I get the rear window defrost,
I get the rear wiper and fluid,
But what is the third switch?

The owners manual lists the first two but does not show a third switch. Poking around online didn't result in anything.

Anyone?

TJ switch.jpg

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Looks slightly different, so most likely aftermarket. Hard to tell without tracing the wires.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Manifold pre heater to allow carburetor perform better in icy conditions and prevent the pink diesel fuel from turning cloudy.

Simple Man

Well...it's not a diesel.

And I knew everyone was losing sleep trying to figure out the mystery. Here's how the story turned out...

The new stereo showed up while I was washing it today.
20201206_114432_resized.jpg

So, as the first step to installing the stereo, I pulled apart the dash, and as Dennis suggested, I planned on tracing the wires. Then I discovered, it goes nowhere!

20201206_113648_resized.jpg

I guess the previous owner found an auxiliary switch and put it in with plans to wire something to it someday.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to think about it.

Doug

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Well...it's not a diesel.

And I knew everyone was losing sleep trying to figure out the mystery. Here's how the story turned out...

The new stereo showed up while I was washing it today.
View attachment 59445

So, as the first step to installing the stereo, I pulled apart the dash, and as Dennis suggested, I planned on tracing the wires. Then I discovered, it goes nowhere!

View attachment 59446

I guess the previous owner found an auxiliary switch and put it in with plans to wire something to it someday.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to think about it.

Doug
Well, that was an easy trace...

ManNamedJed

Splice in a long chunk of wire to one lead, wind it around a bunch of different things under the dash and connect it back to another lead on the switch. Will make a fun surprise for the next owner to figure out!