2007 Jeep Patriot

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
from Rockcrawler.com

Frankfurt, Sep 12, 2005 - Jeep® designers have gone to the extreme once again, creating two all-new sport-utility-vehicle (SUV) concepts that could expand the Jeep brand into new territory.

The Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass concepts are compact Jeep 4x4s that would deliver fun, freedom, utility, capability, as well as the potential for exceptional fuel economy and interior flexibility — all at a great value. Making their debut at the 2005 International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt, these concepts hint at two future compact SUVs that the Jeep brand could build for global markets as soon as next year.

With the potential for the powerful yet fuel-efficient all-new 2.4-liter World Engine and a state-of-the-art 2.0-liter diesel (for international markets), the Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass concepts could be coupled with a new Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). All-new Jeep technology also would give these two concepts Jeep 4x4 capability.

The two very distinct interpretations of a compact Jeep complement each other, yet target different sets of customers who seek great value and fuel efficiency. The Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass concepts would expand the brand’s global lineup, which includes Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty (Cherokee outside North America) and the legendary Jeep Wrangler.

“The Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot concepts prove Jeep continues to explore new territory,” said Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President – Design, Chrysler Group. “These concept vehicles would allow Jeep to provide best-in-class capability to the compact SUV buyer at a great value, and do so with the credibility that only comes with a Jeep.”

Jeep Patriot Concept: A Modern Interpretation of Classic Jeep Styling
Strong and capable, the Patriot concept is unmistakably Jeep, designed to appeal to compact SUV buyers who want traditional Jeep styling with best-in-class off-road capability. Jeep Patriot is rugged, exuding the brand’s key attributes of mastery, authenticity, freedom and adventure, but would still offer exceptional fuel economy, interior flexibility and utility at a great value.

“Simple, geometric forms and planar surfaces define Jeep Patriot’s timeless, purpose-built design,” said Creed. “Patriot’s face features Jeep’s signature seven-slot grille, a robust bumper, round headlamps, raised, free-standing fog lamps and a visible skid plate. All of this gives Jeep Patriot its robust, strong, capable off-road image.”

Painted Armour Green with black door handles, body-side moldings, black accents, dark tinted windows and a stiffer windshield, Jeep Patriot would be built for maximum cargo volume, rugged driving conditions and excellent utility. Four doors and a rear liftgate provide easy access to the Jeep Patriot concept’s spacious and functional interior.

Classic Jeep design cues include aggressive 17-inch off-road wheels and tires housed inside signature Jeep trapezoidal wheel openings. These combine with a raised roof rack that can hold additional gear to provide a no-nonsense, functional statement. Jeep Patriot’s higher beltline completes the vehicle’s protective profile.

The rear of the vehicle features an upright backlight and a bold bumper that further illustrate the Jeep Patriot concept’s interior spaciousness and add to its rugged appearance and capability.

Jeep Patriot not only looks like a Jeep, but all-new Jeep off-road technology would ensure Jeep Patriot could be a Trail Rated 4x4, which would make it the most capable vehicle in its class.

patriot_side_550.jpg

patriot_bridge_550.jpg

patriot_waterfall_550.jpg

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/05september/jeep_compass_patriot.asp

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I like how all of the Jeeps these days are named "Patriot", "Commander", and "Liberty". If you cannot offer the real experience at least you can offer the name! :rolleyes:

rusty_tlc

Dirty Harry said:
I like how all of the Jeeps these days are named "Patriot", "Commander", and "Liberty". If you cannot offer the real experience at least you can offer the name! :rolleyes:
Like Sequoia and Highlander are great names?:rolling:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Denis said:
Jeep Patriot not only looks like a Jeep, but all-new Jeep off-road technology would ensure Jeep Patriot could be a Trail Rated 4x4, which would make it the most capable vehicle in its class.

I like how they don't mention what any of that "technology" is. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what vehicles are in its class but I'd be willing to wager though that this thing would get stomped by an H3 or an Xterra.

rusty_tlc

Dirty Harry said:
I like how they don't mention what any of that "technology" is. :rolleyes: I'm not sure what vehicles are in its class but I'd be willing to wager though that this thing would get stomped by an H3 or an Xterra.
It's class would probably be Liberty, Highlander, Pathfinder. Not a bad group if you just want four wheel drive to get to the ski slopes. Keep in mind that people buy 4X's for all different reasons.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I definitely agree that a lot of people don't buy SUVs for their capability, it is just that they are talking about being the most capable vehicle in its class. Being more capable than a Highlander is not a difficult feat.

kairo

Staff member
I just hope I have enough money someday to buy a really good condition 2001 XJ and then keep it till it falls apart

rusty_tlc

kairo said:
I just hope I have enough money someday to buy a really good condition 2001 XJ and then keep it till it falls apart
Or you could get a Cruiser and keep it until you fall apart. :D Thats my plan.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
Or you could get a Cruiser and keep it until you fall apart. :D Thats my plan.

LOL. I am really impressed with how quiet and tight my new FJ80 Land Cruiser is after 157k miles and 11 years. Plus I fit 33s on it stock and it came with lockers front and rear from the factory!

kairo

Staff member
I've actually considered that. I like the look of them for sure.

The only really major problem I have with all these new vehicles is that you absolutely cannot work on them without a degree in computer sciences. That is if you can access the engine at all.
Example: My grandparents bought a new chrysler 300c with the hemi, and I was like SWEEET pop the hood on that beatch! Hood opens up and there's a GIANT piece of plastic withe "hemi" on it so you cant even see the block. You can access the oil dipstick, the rad fluid, and the washer fluid. That's it! Now how in the world are you supposed to tinker with a car that has a force field over the engine?:eek:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty Harry said:
LOL. I am really impressed with how quiet and tight my new FJ80 Land Cruiser is after 157k miles and 11 years. Plus I fit 33s on it stock and it came with lockers front and rear from the factory!

it is a nice and beefy rig. i checked it out Tuesday when Sam was putting it up on the lift, before mutilating that big ARB box into a playhouse for Sam's kiddo.

rusty_tlc

I'm thinking of an 80 for my wife, she wants to ditch the Marquise.

Every time I work on my 40 I'm amazed, almost 250K miles and thirty years old, still ran great when I tore it apart.:rolling:

There really is a lot to be said for the butt simple older rigs, jeeps or whatever.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
kairo said:
Now how in the world are you supposed to tinker with a car that has a force field over the engine?:eek:

Come on, a plastic shroud is hardly a "force field". Just take it all off like Ned Bacon did to the TrailLex.

129_0407_lexus_04_z.jpg

I am not a big fan of electronic traction control and vehicle stabilization but I do like fuel injected motors.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
that Lex is cool. we almost bought one, but decided to get Acura MDX instead, due to bigger third-row seat dimensions. lower price helped too. :yes: :D

Attachments

• 129_0504_tlex_02_z.jpg
    129_0504_tlex_02_z.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 348

Dirty Harry

Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
There really is a lot to be said for the butt simple older rigs, jeeps or whatever.

I definitely agree with you on that. I have a 77 F-150 and I can literally SIT under the hood and work on things if I need to. Everything is mechanical and it is very easy to visual what is wrong if there is a problem.

By comparison, my Toyota pickup has a four cylinder motor with half the displacement and I can barely reach my hand into the engine bay to get to the dipstick. I have a bad habit of making things more complicated than they need to be and that is not beneficial when something goes wrong on the trail.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Denis said:
that Lex is cool. we almost bought one, but decided to get Acura MDX instead, due to bigger third-row seat dimensions. lower price helped too. :yes: :D

Yeah the GXs are expensive and have more do-dads than necessary. Underneath it all they are basically the Toyota Prado available overseas, that is one of the reasons Ned was able to do so much with it. I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in the TrailLex and it really was capable and comfortable, although there was room for improvement (gears, front locker). Unfortunately it has been returned to Lexus/Toyota and it probably met the crusher by now. :(

Zebaru

rusty_tlc said:
It's class would probably be Liberty, Highlander, Pathfinder. Not a bad group if you just want four wheel drive to get to the ski slopes. Keep in mind that people buy 4X's for all different reasons.

Think smaller. This car is based on the new dodge small car (I forget what it is called) that is replacing the Neon. Probably in the same segment as a CRV or RAV-4. The two wheel drive version (are they making one?) would probably be front wheel drive as well.

People talk about how much the patriot looks like an XJ - it is roughly the same size and shape. What this really shows all us XJ guys is how small our rigs really are. If you ever see a stock XJ parked next to a RAV-4 or CRV you will realize they are pretty much the same size. A Highlander or Pilot is noticeably larger...

Travis