4.0L problems

Connect

This morning i was coming up over the hill and i notived a funny smell, so i stop in nyack, and I cant find it. Comes up again on the summit so i stop at the rest stop and track the smell to my rear right floorboard, the floor was really hot and it was melting the carpet smelling bad.

So I get to verdi, and idling around the engine sounds like its misfiring a cylinder or something during idle (which is below 500rpms now) My dad says its probably an exhaust leak, but i was wondering if anyone any similar problems.

149k miles, never rebuilt, aw4 tranny.

I want to go tommorrow and i finallyl got a hitch today but i'm not sure if this is a critical problem or not.

DBXJ

well yes it is a exhaust leak
as for the misfire your jeeps to old to have a sensor in the catalatic converter so your exhaust could be clogged or u need a tune-up too

DBXJ

on a couple of jeeps that i have see they have what looks like a sensor on the catalatic converter if its broken the engine wont run right though ive only seen it on a few like my moms 98 and some newer one though thats about it

DBXJ

well i think its called a pulse air unit it runs to a check valve once i get a new mouse ill post a pic of it

Connect

I tracked the sound down to the area of the header/pipe gasket, however i need to get it up on stands before i can go any further, and its dark out and im pissed off at the damn tow package (try putting a 3" bolt into a hole 10" deep in a box frame)

I don't think its a misfire, but its got a good knock (more air sounding, not mechanical) Idles rough and when you accererate between 500-2000 rpms its still rough.

Anyways I was already to go to summit racing and get tow hooks and a 2" receiver hook tonight to be ready for tommorow, but as it stands now its a weekend project. Can't make it tommorrow, thats for sure. Might have to take the whole bumper off to get the tow package on.

Thanks for the advice DBXJ, are you a mechanic or what?

Connect

Just an update, took it into the shop this morning, compression is down 60lb's on #2 cylinder, bad valve is the problem. a complete tear down and $600 later I'll hjave my jeep back :(

There goes my tires.

Last edited: