95 Ford Explorer SAS build

3rd Petal

This project started out as a dirt cheap budget build from a salvage titled Explorer and miscellaneous junk I had laying around.

But as time went by and parts were broken, as many people would, I became bored with a very mild, mostly stock, trail beater. So it got parked and set on the back burner for a few months. But now it's back and going under the knife. A general overview of the current plans are, spring over rear (8.8), SAS front (D44), 37's, custom reduction box, and custom front/rear bumpers.

To start I tore out the old spring under rear end. Then added some 3/8" shackles, cause the stock stamped ones wouldn't cut it

Then a simple 8.8, with custom rocker perches to try to get just a bit more out of the leaf springs

3rd Petal

What are rocker perches?
The spring perch is mounted on a pivot. The idea is to removing the binding caused by the leaf springs under high articulation. Leaf springs only wants to move straight up or down, so if you're in a scenario where the angle of the axle is far from parallel with the angle of your frame, that differnece in angle has to be made up from play in the leaf spring bushings or by putting a twist in the spring itself. This should theoredically remove that twisting force on the spring. But we shall see if they really do much or not, this will be the first time I've run them

PhantomRage

Be careful working under that thing with just jack stands. If you want some RR ties to put under it in case it were to fall, PM me and we can load some up at work.

3rd Petal

Be careful working under that thing with just jack stands. If you want some RR ties to put under it in case it were to fall, PM me and we can load some up at work.
What are you talking about? Them there are the best jack stands harbor freight sells. But seriously, thanks for the offer but I'll be alright. I usually stack my old wheels and tires under the frame if I'm gonna be spending some time under there. Also the only reason I had them that far forward on the frame was so I could just drop the shackles and pull the old spring under axle straight out the back

3rd Petal

Been a little while since an update, but I managed to get enough time off work to get a bit done.

All of this has been cut out

To be replaced with this

By means of these

3rd Petal

Thanks. I've looked around on the TRS a bit, but just about all the solid axle swaps I can find are on TTB explorers

willys dave

Are those the upper and lower control arms you are using for the front axle in the pic. ? The uppers appear to be very short . I thought they were supposed to be about 75 to 80 % the lenth of the lowers ?

3rd Petal

Got some frame end brackets built for the radius arms, then finished up the main links and built new 1 3/4" .250 wall upper links, didn't think the 1 1/4" ones would cut it.

Then mocked up under the vehicle