95 Ford Explorer SAS build

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Researching building an Explorer. Would it be better to start with a 2wd one if I plan on doing a solid axle swap?

WILLD420

Researching building an Explorer. Would it be better to start with a 2wd one if I plan on doing a solid axle swap?
A lot depends on the swapping and Fab time. ECMs can be swapped, mounts can be fabbed etc. But that all takes time. A great shortcut is a SAS and a bolt in doubler. You just have to address the little things. A whole swap entails shifter installs, transmission swaps, ecm swaps, cutting holes in floors etc.

I'd always choose less Fab but for a truggy, I imagine they are close in efforts.

3rd Petal

Depends on what body style you are wanting, and what you plan to swap. The easiest/cheapest is gonna be a 91-94 4x4 explorer with a TTB. Going from TTB there isn’t really anything you need to clean off the frame, and the steering box is already in the right place. Just need a track bar and links/radius arms. That will stick you with a 4.0 v6 as your only option though. You need to go 96 or newer to get a 5.0, and both 2wd and 4wd have a arm ifs and rack and pinion steering. And I think the frames are very similar, if not identical between 2wd and 4wd. You would need to swap trans tailhousings or go to a divorced case starting with a 2wd