AB231 - Exempts all pre-OBDII from smog and inspections

jfrey123

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/80th2019/Bill/6405/Text

I normally run a list of gun laws that get proposed for every legislative session in Nevada for another forum, but this bill caught my eye.

Overall, it appears to want to outfit the smog stations with newer wireless tech for smog checks. It might mean completely phasing out the old sniffers, because it explicitly states vehicles made in or before 1995 would be exempt from smog and inspections. I don’t see any exemptions for the two large counties that currently smog to continue smogging pre ‘96.

If it passes, I guess we motor swap all the things....?

DJRENO

Premium Member
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/80th2019/Bill/6405/Text

I normally run a list of gun laws that get proposed for every legislative session in Nevada for another forum, but this bill caught my eye.

Overall, it appears to want to outfit the smog stations with newer wireless tech for smog checks. It might mean completely phasing out the old sniffers, because it explicitly states vehicles made in or before 1995 would be exempt from smog and inspections. I don’t see any exemptions for the two large counties that currently smog to continue smogging pre ‘96.

If it passes, I guess we motor swap all the things....?

Where can I find the gun law list you mentioned?

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
If they smog exempt anything pre-1995 it would remove all the people calling them classics to the DMV registration, and increase the cost of buying anything built before 1995.

69cj5

Looks like the paragraphs that eliminate inspections for pre 96 vehicles has been deleted due to loss of inspections fees at DMV...

jfrey123

Looks like the paragraphs that eliminate inspections for pre 96 vehicles has been deleted due to loss of inspections fees at DMV...

Where do you see that? I see no amendments and the blue writing right near the end of the bill still says 1995 and older are exempt.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
As of March 28 it was heard twice and it still seems to exempt anything 1995 and older. I might have to start looking for a cheap 1995 jeep or Toyota before things get crazy stupid priced, or people learn they don't need to smog that 4runner they can't get rid of.

jfrey123

An amendment officially applied on 4/8 as it passed out of committee basically fully gutted this bill. It’s now over 8 pages of cross out. Best I can see the bill now only changes one sentence of law to allow a smog cert to be valid 180 days for the purposes of transfer.

No more smog exemptions for pre-96.

Mazzif

Was I reading this right that not only would this introduce an exemption to all pre '95 vehicles but would also mandate that all counties would then require emissions testing?

If the Commission determines that it is feasible and practicable to carry out a program of inspecting and testing motor vehicles and systems for the control of emissions from motor vehicles, existing law requires the Commission, in cooperation with the Department and any local air pollution control agency, to adopt regulations and transportation controls to carry out such a program in any county whose population is less than 100,000 (currently all counties other than Clark and Washoe Counties). Existing law requires such regulations to establish certain requirements concerning emissions testing

Wonder how many people would be on board with that.