Air Race ?

throttleboy

cutthroat said:
Anyone know of a good offroad spot in Stead to watch the air races from? Is there one?
go out red rock past the fire station and take one of the dirt roads on the right,you'll be about as close as you can get!! i could show you one eve this week!??!

86xjfor8

throttleboy said:
go out red rock past the fire station and take one of the dirt roads on the right,you'll be about as close as you can get!! i could show you one eve this week!??!
Yeah what he said that is about the only road out there and you can only go so far there is a gate out there that they close for saftey reasons

NevadaXJ

That would be good info to have. I have never been to the air races, mainly because I don't like being around a ton of people, so an out of the way vantage point would be awesome.....

Connect

BBQ on the trail? It sounds like a decent amount of fun, really depends on everyone time schedule, I already have VIP tickets to the races so I'm not sure what's up

86xjfor8

there is a slim chance that going thrue lemmon valley by the water tower at the end of lemmon drive that the gate is not closed

Fish Sticks

throttleboy said:
Yeah I know were that is, thanks. I think I'll head out there on Saturday. Sounds like we might have a turn out.

xjmoser

If you guys need something to do you can stop by my house and help me paint it. Way more fun than getting dizzy watching plans fly in circles. :yup:

EricsXJ

I actually get a kick out of watching from my backyard. Can't see the actual races (I'm in Cold Springs), but you get to see the line up as they circle over on the approach just before the race. The jets also usually make several passes right over our valley during their performances and in years past they've done some very high speed passes at low altitude which is LOUD. :eek:

I've also been to the races several times and thats great too. This year they have both the Canadian Snowbirds AND the USAF Thunderbirds. Both have had great performaces in the past!

EricsXJ

From that article:

"The aerial acrobatic team cut short their performance Saturday when two of the jets made contact while they were flying in formation and a missile rail was dislodged."

Wow. Any mid-air contact that doesn't result in a crash is pretty amazing... Too bad they might not come but the good thing is the show won't be totally without. Even the Snowbirds by themselves are very worth it, especially if you haven't seen something like that before.

86xjfor8

EricsXJ said:
I actually get a kick out of watching from my backyard. Can't see the actual races (I'm in Cold Springs), but you get to see the line up as they circle over on the approach just before the race. The jets also usually make several passes right over our valley during their performances and in years past they've done some very high speed passes at low altitude which is LOUD. :eek:

I've also been to the races several times and thats great too. This year they have both the Canadian Snowbirds AND the USAF Thunderbirds. Both have had great performaces in the past!
Yeah I remember that growing up in that valley as a kid there are times you would wonder if they where going to clip your house

throttleboy

NevadaXJ said:
That would be good info to have. I have never been to the air races, mainly because I don't like being around a ton of people, so an out of the way vantage point would be awesome.....
there will be a lot of ppl out there to but not as bad as if you paid to go ;) !!

EricsXJ

86xjfor8 said:
Yeah I remember that growing up in that valley as a kid there are times you would wonder if they where going to clip your house

I've been tempted to head out for a "picnic" up on the hills between Cold Springs and Red Rock, but knowing how low they fly sometimes, I will admit, I was too scared to actually go up there! :nervous:

86xjfor8

EricsXJ said:
I've been tempted to head out for a "picnic" up on the hills between Cold Springs and Red Rock, but knowing how low they fly sometimes, I will admit, I was too scared to actually go up there! :nervous:
I did it one time when I had my 87 xj with a 4 inch lift and 33s and I swore it would be the last I still think if I was standing on my roof I could have touched the belly and the noise was just to much