Amazing Nevada Travels

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Where's Belmont? I've read about it but forgot what area it's in.
its in Monitor Valley-- generally 1/2 way between 50 and 6. Diana's punch bowl, potts ranch, northumberland pass (and cave!), pete';s summit road (w/ toquima cave and spencer's hot springs ((best in state)).

also, just north of belmont about 10 miles is Pine Creek-- hands down the best camp site in central nevada--

we've stayed here at the B&B in Belmont. nice place..

http://www.belmontinn.com/

more pix here
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/belmont.htm

We usually take the short drive over to Manhattan, NV to visit one of the 2 or sometimes 3 open bars. By back roads, from Belmont to Mahnattan about 30 minutes.

mb

Air Sierra

Staff member
Man there is great photos...I don't think I have enough time in life to see all different places..guess I will just have to try.

Jimmyd

Pine Creek is one of Central Nevada's best kept secrets since it is so out of the way. We used to go there every summer when we lived in Tonopatch.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Pine Creek is one of Central Nevada's best kept secrets since it is so out of the way. We used to go there every summer when we lived in Tonopatch.
Two years ago we camped at Pine Creek and had the entire place to ourselves-- we even took day trips and we drew a line across the access road. Upon our return checked the line and no tracks over it = total privacy! Nice creek running thru the camp ground and lots of green. Approx 25 developed camp sites.

Across Monitor Valley is Barley Creek-- more ggod camping, but not as many aspen trees.

Another good spot is Peavine Creek, just west of Round Mountain-- lots of great camp sites here and old ruins to explore. further north of Carvers are a number of awesome canyons-- Twin Rivers, Ophir Canyon-- nice 4x4 to get up to old town site and ruins. Birch Creek Canyon. Then the baddest of em all is Kingston-- good fishing here and a nice moderately challenging 4x4 trail up over the summit to Big Creek in Reese River Valley.

A good friend owns a ranch just south of Smokey Joe's in Big Smokey Valley and we have used this place as a staging post for day runs. He also hosts the vintage car rally race across nevada every year. So this might be an option ...

This is just a sampling of many more cool, hidden hot spots in central nevada.

Last edited:

BigNorm

Two years ago we camped at Pine Creek and had the entire place to ourselves-- we even took day trips and we drew a line across the access road. Upon our return checked the line and no tracks over it = total privacy! Nice creek running thru the camp ground and lots of green. Approx 25 developed camp sites.

Across Monitor Valley is Barley Creek-- more ggod camping, but not as many aspen trees.

Another good spot is Peavine Creek, just west of Round Mountain-- lots of great camp sites here and old ruins to explore. further north of Carvers are a number of awesome canyons-- Twin Rivers, Ophir Canyon-- nice 4x4 to get up to old town site and ruins. Birch Creek Canyon. Then the baddest of em all is Kingston-- good fishing here and a nice moderately challenging 4x4 trail up over the summit to Big Creek in Reese River Valley.

A good friend owns a ranch just south of Smokey Joe's in Big Smokey Valley and we have used this place as a staging post for day runs. He also hosts the vintage car rally race across nevada every year. So this might be an option ...

This is just a sampling of many more cool, hidden hot spots in central nevada.
I've only been through that area once and I loved it.

rusty_tlc

Man there is great photos...I don't think I have enough time in life to see all different places..guess I will just have to try.
Last spring a few of us took a trip through central NV. We figure if we exlpored all the road we saw that interested us we would all have to live to 180. :sick:

I don't think that will stop us from trying.:thumbsup: