anyone going out at all?

Brizzman

Premium Member
I'd be up for a petroglyphs and Bronco run some time soon. I'd like to get my other rear axle in the FJ, but I can run it the way it is.
And then again later this summer. My buddy wants to run trails like those, but was shut down by Bud Canyon a while ago on 33s, 3.07 gears and open diffs. He has axles in my back yard to help fix that. His won't be ready right away though.

ZJchukar

I want a challenge but don't want to go alone. The glyphs are awesome to see and a pretty drive but not a challenge at all. Maybe I could tag along on a run to Bronco just to get my feet wet. When it ends up being too much, I can stop and watch the rest of you. I don't want to be a hindrance but I do want to get into more difficult trails as my build progresses.

I won't be available this week due to an unforeseen medical issue but I should be good after that.

jfrey123

I managed to get out today for a home school field trip to Dog Valley. Doesn’t count for a whole lot, but I’m way less active wheeling than I used to be. Just jamming down the main dirt road from Verdi to Boomtown and back, with a couple minor detours to play at old campgrounds we used in Boy Scouts, that alone made for a good few hours.

I cannot believe the foot traffic out there on the main road. Hiking. On the main road. There are so many awesome spots to go explore, but people were hiking the main road (including that back massaging first climb out of Verdi). Baffles the mind...

Attachments

jfrey123

Maps refer to it as Dog Valley campground, the one they took all the tables and outhouses out of to try and force people to the pay spot near Crystal Peak.

ZJchukar

No it's the one that's close to Crystal Peak. I think the name is Lookout Campground but now I'm second guessing it.

Bill

No it's the one that's close to Crystal Peak. I think the name is Lookout Campground but now I'm second guessing it.
Verdi peak is an old forestry fire lookout tower. From there you can see all the way from stead to Reno, to truckee. It's marked (verdi peak rd.) Between verdi and crystal peak. Well worth the journey. Amazing views but I would recommend going in the morning. Afternoon winds are fierce up there.

jfrey123

The campground I pictured to is one of the first big lefts you can make after you drop into the valley (hard left, almost a hairpin off the main road). I’ll send you a map if you’re really curious. It’s not exactly a secret spot by any means but I don’t want to advertise my nostalgic spot to the lookie loo’s.

ZJchukar

I think I know exactly where you are talking about.

Well, I'll be out of commission for at least the rest of the week. Perhaps we can go on an organized group run soon? Summer will be here before we know it and I've still not yet been on a shake down run.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
i paid a local builder for a custom, balance blueprinted, etc stroker. after 4 years started running like crap. sent oil for analysis and was chock full of aluminum and brass. uh oh. pull apart and all connecting rods bent, two piston ring landings completely gone and cam was moving so much it nearly cut a hole in timing cover. had a non rated cam and the crank was wrong. two cylinders were completely rusted and the list of horrors goes on. the builder left town and there are quite few folks looking for him too. Basically i paid for something i did not receive. installed used parts too, not new as i paid for.

been looking for another 4.0 to build but not a lot of luck. believe we have sourced a correct year block, fingers crossed.