anyone going out at all?

DJRENO

Premium Member
Dang, sounds like fun, but I'm gonna pass on this one. I'm close to end of life on my original stock tires and I'm not comfortable on much of anything other than a fire trail, especially if there is the dreaded mud involved. When the tires are done the $$$ will flow and we'll get lifted, 35s and 4.56 gears, then, I'm in, lets go!

As to tomorrow - PICS!

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Take lots of photos. Maybe post up a summary of the trip like the ol Wild Goose use to do. I believe there are petroglyphs nearby and there should be a bypass on the left.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
posted this to the hills angels page so u might have company. Dj reno there is little or zero mud on steves loop. Have fun ya all. 10 am Burger King, right?

ScoobyMike

I plan to make it, see you all at BK. DJRENO, you don't have to go thru the rocks, you can drive around and park on top.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

wrund

Jeep1.jpg

Attachments

• Jeep2.jpg
    Jeep2.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Jeep3.jpg
    Jeep3.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Jeep4.jpg
    Jeep4.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Jeep5.jpg
    Jeep5.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0505 (1).jpg
    IMG_0505 (1).jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 8

wrund

We met up with Dave, Joe, and Mike. Headed out by 10:15am to Steve's Loop. Ran into a small group of side-by-sides and a Toyota. The side-by sides were hung up in the rocks so we helped get them through.

The trail was really tore up from prior vehicles.

We made it through with a few scrapes on the sliders and skid plates.

The exit road up the wind caves was extremely tore up from erosion.

Every rig was very capable, everyone knew how to drive, obstacles were soon overcome. Weather was great, nice people, made for another good memorable trip.

Last edited:

DJRENO

Premium Member
WOW! Who had the red JK with the Metalcloak decal? I want to talk to you about your suspension.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Thought so. Which Metalcloak "flavor" are you running? I leaning hard that way for the lift on my JKUR (3.5 inch Game Changer Rock Sport addition). Do you like it? Handles on the road? What don't you like? Would you do it again? ETC., etc. etc.......

ZJchukar

I didn't want the MC arms (I went with Johnny Joints on all the arms and both track bars) so I didn't get the whole package but I did get some of it. 3.5" springs which ended up sitting at 4" all the way around. I bought the Fox shocks they offer with the Game Changer from BDS since MC doesn't sell them separately. The ride is noticeably stiffer than stock but not bad. The road manners are good as well, honestly it rides/drives on the highway better than stock with of course a little more body roll just since it sits higher. Off road is great. The "dual rate" springs definitely aren't dual rate but the extra few winds on the coils on top allow the spring to stay seated when flexing and I've definitely benefited from that. I will say I was happy it sat higher but I paid then penalty with less down travel. I can't do anything about it up front but the rear I added Evo Rockstar skids which brings the shock mount up a little higher and I'm also running JKS BPEs up top which adds like half an inch. I had to run 30" rear brake lines since the other ones I bought, 24" I think, weren't enough.

Off road performance for me has been great. Everything really feels like it's all working together. I've not had it in anything too gnarly yet but it's always felt very controllable in everything I've done. I went 50+ mph on a moderately bumpy dirt road and it soaked up the bumps really well, it never felt flighty and none of the bumps/dips ever felt jarring. No, I don't smash around in the desert on a regular basis but I did want to see how it would perform since the lift was pretty new at that time. Rocky roads are fine as well but that's (in my experience) been more of a factor of the tire pressure. Aired down and driving through rough roads isn't bouncy, nothing that would spill your drink.

The only thing I think I'd change is I'd get longer shocks but that's not really anyone's fault. The Rock Sports are a little longer so you might not have the same issue as me. I have about 6.5" down, 3.5" up in the rear and the fronts are split at 5" up and 5" down. The only thing limiting my front travel is my crossmember. I installed Adams driveshafts and yeah it cleared up space for front droop but it rubs the crossmember now so that's about it for me, for now anyway. One last thing: I wasn't able to run the MC rear sway links with factory wheels. I'm not running a rear sway now and really it's been fine. I also found that when stuffed, the rear tires rubbed the brake line clip on the frame. I actually had the clip pop out on the passenger side. This lead to me having to get wheels since no amount of bump stop would have fixed it, and yes I did try. If you are running spacers or different wheels, it shouldn't be an issue for you. Or I guess you could reroute the hard line but that's a project in itself.

Yes, I'd absolutely do it again. I've bought cheap stuff before and had to replace crap multiple times since it never held up. Most of MC's schtick is just marketing gimmicks but they do make good stuff.

Sorry, I know that was a little all over the place but I kept thinking of stuff to add. Since I pieced everything together and didn't buy the kit, my experiences are my own and yours will probably be different. You know what they say, your mileage may vary.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply with such detail. Did you re-gear when you got bigger tires?

ZJchukar

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply with such detail. Did you re-gear when you got bigger tires?
No, stock 3.73 and it's quite sluggish. The previous owner put 32s on it so it was slow before but it's definitely slow now. I can hold 65-75 without much struggle but getting there is painful. I've only put 500 or so miles on the jeep since then so I can't really comment about fuel economy. Oh I should add its a 3.8L auto. I'm running steel wheels, sliders, and some tools in the back so I'm not a TON heavier than stock. More armor and a winch is planned and I assume that'll bog her down a bit more as well.

I don't want to put anything more than I already have into the D30. I figure I'll save up for an axle swap and do the gears and lockers then. I'll suffer through it until I can afford to upgrade. Buy once cry once, right?