April 3/4

DJRENO

Premium Member
Anybody going out this WE? Weather will be great, compared to the last few months. Not looking for anything real tough, just a nice trail run.

DJRENO

Premium Member
I hope so - nobody seems interested. I'm thinking of Ophir Road to Jumbo to VC for lunch. Not tough, but more fun with a couple of us.

DJRENO

Premium Member
OK, I'm going on the above excursion tomorrow. I'm shooting at being at the base of Ophir (right off of Eastlake) @ 10:00 - 10:30. Should get us to VC noonish. If anybody wants to join me, post up. I'll check in the AM.

ZJchukar

OK, I'm going on the above excursion tomorrow. I'm shooting at being at the base of Ophir (right off of Eastlake) @ 10:00 - 10:30. Should get us to VC noonish. If anybody wants to join me, post up. I'll check in the AM.
How'd it go?

DJRENO

Premium Member
DNF. About two miles into Ophir it got quite rocky. Not crawler rocky, just beat the crap out of you rocky. I think if I had aired down it would have been OK, but I currently lack an air up solution. So, with the encouragement of my copilot I turned around. I'll go again later once I settle on an air solution.

But, the sun was shining, it wasn't cold, the scenery is stunning, and we saw a lot of horses. There are a lot of worse days.

tjunkie

Premium Member
Here’s my air up and air down solution...absolutely love these devices...pricey but highly recommend. Just do a search for the following on Amazon:

Staun Automatic Tire Deflators (Standard Duty 6-30 PSI)

JACO ElitePro Tire Pressure Gauge - 60 PSI

VIAIR 450P-RV Silver Automatic Portable Compressor Kit

DJRENO

Premium Member
I've already got those deflators in my sights, and I have a really good gauge. It's the air source I'm lacking. That is the big VIAIR. How long does it take to get your tires back to hiway pressures?

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
CO2 tank with a regulator could work if you didn’t want to buy a Viair setup.

Edit: Amazon says the 400-RV FILLS A 35” tire to 30 PSI in 5 minutes so I’d say 25-35 minutes depending on when you start the timer. The 450 is a lower CFM and higher duty cycle.

zadar

CO2 tank with a regulator could work if you didn’t want to buy a Viair setup.
That is what I used for track car. One of those old people aluminum tanks with regulator and 2000 psi nitrogen in it.
In my truck I have small compressor under the seat, left over from Mercedes I had. Just plug in cigarette lighter power supply. You can pick those cheap on Ebay.

TahoeTJ

I just got a viair 400p and it’s definitely suitable for 18x35s and took 4-5 minutes per tire going 20-35psi.

I had a bet with my wife I’d be up until midnight airing up and installing the freedom panels so I actually timed it. It took 28 minutes total time and I was in bed 30 minutes “early”. The process will be even quicker as I get more familiar with it.

The pressure gauge seems to be off by 3psi, and the included deflator takes about the same amount of time to air down as it does to air up. I’ll definitely be buying a dedicated rapid deflator and like the ARB model I borrowed. They also get hot as hell so be careful packing up

tjunkie

Premium Member
Yes that seems to be a thing with the Viair units...my pressure gauge is off by 5 psi. Congrats on the new equipment!

DJRENO

Premium Member
I picked up a Smittybuilt 2781 yesterday for $170. It's rated at 5.65 CFM. I tested it today and will inflate my 35x12.5/17s from 15 psi to 30 psi in 1:40 each. I tried it 3 different times and was within a couple of seconds, which is well within the accuracy of any tire gauge. So far, I'm pleased with this gizmo.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Full disclosure - that was the spare, so It didn't have the weight of the vehicle on it, but still....

TahoeTJ

I just purchased the Coyote Enterprises rapid auto-deflators. https://www.coyoteents.com/deflators/

Made in America so it’s worth a few extra $, let’s hope they work as awesome as their website says they do. The deflator on the Viair is somewhat annoying to use, and if you rotate the collar too far it is difficult to reset while attached to the valve stem. I bled too much air out of one tire dinking around with the deflator trying to shut it.

willys dave

I picked up a Smittybuilt 2781 yesterday for $170. It's rated at 5.65 CFM. I tested it today and will inflate my 35x12.5/17s from 15 psi to 30 psi in 1:40 each. I tried it 3 different times and was within a couple of seconds, which is well within the accuracy of any tire gauge. So far, I'm pleased with this gizmo.
I have the same one and I've had it for years. We use it all the time and even though I generally don't recommend anything Smittybilt, this has been a fantastic unit and I think it moves more air than any other portable except the dual ARB unit, which costs about 3 times more. BTW, I also have the Coyote deflators, have had them for about ten years with zero issues.