ATTN Kyota: Cleaning tube (ok its pipe, but who cares)

Sauce

I have some pipe that was outside uncovered in the metal yard and it has quite a bit of surface rust on it. I have about 40' to clean up :eek: (its for a top secret project, don't aks me what its fer or I will kill ye). My question is what the best way to get the black stuff and surface rust off. My initial thought is get a flap disk and go at it. Any better ideas?

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
Surface Rust

No Joke here....

Get a bunch of 2 liter Cokes from the store, use them fill up a tub, and let the rusty tubes soak in the coke for 24 hours. That is how I got the rust off my tools that were left to the elements....works very good.

Connect

I think coke gets rust off chrome really well, but...

I would wire brush the thick rust off then take some thick grit hand sandpaper and give it a few good rubs down the whole tube (no jokes) Any surface rust left shouldn't be much of an issue unless it went deep.

However a large flap disk would do it with less effort.

sten_mitchell

RenoHiltonGambler said:
No Joke here....

Get a bunch of 2 liter Cokes from the store, use them fill up a tub, and let the rusty tubes soak in the coke for 24 hours. That is how I got the rust off my tools that were left to the elements....works very good.

Did you miss the "40 feet of tube" part?

KYOTA

Well if its just surface rust I'd put my wire cup on my 4 1/2" grinder and go at it. Be sure and wear safety glasses under a full face shield cuz those wires come flying out of those cups and stick in whatever they hit, being jeans, shirts or EYEBALLS! and the black stuff, mill scale, will come off with the wheel too.
1376wire2cup4fx.jpg