AUSSIE VS Detroit true track ???

Rafterman

In the rear of a yj with (I know I know) Dana 35:eek: . Which one and why. Please don't go in to the Dana 35 stories:nono: . Just makin due.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Rafterman said:
In the rear of a yj with (I know I know) Dana 35:eek: . Which one and why. Please don't go in to the Dana 35 stories:nono: . Just makin due.

go with Aussie. the less you spend on Dana 35 the better.

Sauce

I should have a set of yj axles for sale soon, 4.56 gears, arb in the rear MORE OTN steering, etc. PM me if you are interested.

kairo

Staff member
i wonder if there would be any interest in contacing aussie locker and doing a group buy.
so far rafterman possibly needs one
scrub wants 2
my brother wants one for his YJ

Anybody else? If there's enough interest I'd be wiling to contact Bill from aussie locker

Last edited:

Rafterman

I have been told the Aussie lockers are a "glorified track lock" "it will last less then two years" Not sure I want to go that route yet. any feed back? Who can tell me about a Super 35 kit?

Sauce

Rafterman said:
I have been told the Aussie lockers are a "glorified track lock" "it will last less then two years" Not sure I want to go that route yet. any feed back? Who can tell me about a Super 35 kit?
the aussie hasn't even been out for two years :rolleyes:. Besides, it doesn't look like you are very hard on it so it should last longer (but not as long as an arb ;)

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I don't think that the Aussie Locker is anything like the Track-loc, more like a Lockrite or EZ-Locker. As for it lasting less than two years, I suppose that depends on how you use it. We are talking about a "lunchbox locker" and a Dana 35 after all, not exactly the strongest components available.

The Super 35 kit is a good option if you are going to stick with 33s or smaller and want the easiest (though not least expensive) option. For the money though I would strongly consider a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer or a Dana 44 (or even Chrysler 8.25) from a Cherokee or Comanche.

Rafterman

ARB = CHA CHING I would have to find a place to mount a switch, compressor or co tank. man the drama of it all.:)

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Rafterman said:
ARB = CHA CHING I would have to find a place to mount a switch, compressor or co tank. man the drama of it all.:)

i don't think anyone suggested ARB.

AussieLocker is the same basic design as LockRight, EZLocker, QuickLock. it's plenty strong and will outlast axle shafts in your Dana 35 by a long shot. :nuke:

Rafterman

Denis said:
i don't think anyone suggested ARB.

AussieLocker is the same basic design as LockRight, EZLocker, QuickLock. it's plenty strong and will outlast axle shafts in your Dana 35 by a long shot. :nuke:
see post 6. You are correct I was told Lockright.

Last edited:

Samco Fab

Drop in the Aussie locker, you can always sell it when your 35 takes a crap. I wouldnt spend the $$ on the super 35 kit for too many reasons to list. Invest in something better. You arent out much with buying the lunchbox locker, at least you will enjoy the benifits of a locker sooner. You will probably break the axles and bend the housing before you hurt or wear out the locker.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Rafterman said:

To get back to the original question, are you planning on regearing at the same time? I ask because you will need to set up the gears again if you go with the Tru-trac, but not the Aussie locker. This can be a lot of added expense. I think that the Tru-trac will be stronger than the Aussie because it replaces the carrier, but it is also more expensive and when it is all said and done it is just a limited slip and not a locker. So, in closing, there are pros and cons to either. :D

haleyanthony

I ran a powertrax no slip for awhile with 33"s in a 35. I just kept busting shafts. The locker was durable though. it is still making the rounds in my clubs jeeps.Still busting axle shafts to LOL. I replaced it with a super 35 with the detroit. It was fine. I wheeled the heck out of that. I stopped busting axle shafts and started busting control arm mounts. Then last summer in the most unopertune time at Windrock on a hellacios hill climb I spun the damn axle tubes. With a stock motor and gear and 33"s mild throttle she spun the tubes. When I got the B_tch home we went axle hunting. Ya all should look for scout axles they are cheap. You can swap a Dana 300 in and twin stick. Lots of guys here are using 9" rears also. I like my D60's. I got a bargain on my front. It was free. I paid $100 for the rear. I then stepped back and threw lots of money at them. I also tri linked both ends and lost the stupid track bars.
haley

Zebaru

Consider that you will need a new carrier for your gears in addition to the Aussie (another $50 or so?) - that puts them within ~$75 of a tru-trac, so I would say that cost is basically a wash.

The locker will make breaking things much more likely. The limited slip will only make breaking things somewhat more likely.

Something else to consider if you have a bit of time. Many 35's had a track-loc (or whatever the stock L/S is) with 3.55 gears (the carrier you need). If you went around the yards, you could probably find one that works okay for cheap ($25-50?) and just run that. That saves you 250-300 dollars that you can then use to buy a real axle (D44, explorer 8.8) when you find one. 8.25 is out since they only go down to 4.56...

FWIW, I think Cutthroat is running a stock limited slip in the rear (8.25) with a front ARB, and he seems to do quite well with that setup.

Travis

Zebaru

Hmmm... little slow on the reply.

Anyway, I have the tools I used to set up a D30 and D44 - that should cover the 35 as well I would guess. They are a mix of good tools and cheapo tools, so depending on how you feel about using HF stuff to setup gears...

So, if you still need something, give me a call or stop by and I will let you borrow anything you need. My gears are in, so I won't be needing any of it for a while (hopefully...)

Travis