Axle swap ‘91 YJ

Landon.YJ

I am a bit new to all the off roading community in terms of builds, but have been wheeling for a few years. I am wanting to axle swap my YJ so I can regear without worrying of axles snapping on bigger tires. The issue is I am a college student saving up every penny I can spare for it but can’t quite afford a shop. Would anyone by chance be able to help me out with a backyard or garage build? I’m hoping to go with either a Dana 44 or 60 equivalent, whatever you think would be easiest and cheapest, but that way I have a base to regear and put money into as I get it. Thank you in advance and I hope you all are doing well!

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Everything is possible. It's better to decide up front what size tire you ultimately want to run. If 37s are your max size, then I would look at Dana 44s, or fabricated 9" housings. Dana 60 (unless it's high clearance version) would hang too low with that size of a tire. Toyota axles are also up to the task of handling 37s. The advantage of fabricated 9" axles, is they can handle way bigger tire size, while providing great clearance even with 35s.

Landon.YJ

Everything is possible. It's better to decide up front what size tire you ultimately want to run. If 37s are your max size, then I would look at Dana 44s, or fabricated 9" housings. Dana 60 (unless it's high clearance version) would hang too low with that size of a tire. Toyota axles are also up to the task of handling 37s. The advantage of fabricated 9" axles, is they can handle way bigger tire size, while providing great clearance even with 35s.
Thank you, that’ll help a lot in my search! Do you know anyone who would do it in their home garage?

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
He could do it. He has a shop. Just know paying someone to do it isn’t cheap and good work is expensive.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
ok thank you, yes I’m aware. How much can I get away with slightly less good work for cheaper?

Save the money first. Spending money in college is easy and adds up. Spend more time studying and get better grades so you can get a job where you have enough money to afford what you want when you want it. Otherwise learn how to weld at TMCC in a year or two of class work and you’ll have the skills to do what you want.

Thedirtman

An axle swap and 37" tires is going to run you $12-25 K depending on the route you go and that is doing it yourself. Don't believe the storys of $1500 tons, even building a set of junk yard axles is going to cost you over $6k and likey closer to $8k when you are all done. Then you need to add, drivelines, lift, tires, and new wheels. You best bet by far would be to find one already built and let the other guy take the loss.

jsipe007

I’d try to find someone’s built axles that will bolt right into your Jeep. Lots of guys (myself included) went to that and decided to go even bigger. I sold my hp30 with arb and Dana 44 rear for a fraction of what it cost to build up new. Be patient and see what’s out there. I ran 35s on my hp30 and Dana 44 for a long time without issues, I never put chromo shafts in the front easier since stock ones were so easy to come by. Make sure you gear down too, 4.56s and 35s was just right with the 4.0 and manual for me. I’d go 4.88s if you’re planning 37s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Read what thedirtman said. There are a lot of costs with axle swaps people don’t talk about, don’t account for, or don’t do right. If you put in a Dana 60 you’re going to need new wheels, drive lines, and brake lines. A rear Dana 44 or even Ford 9 inch might even need new wheels, or more expensive axle shafts. Dirt Lifestyle just did a video where he just laid out the costs to upgrade a junkyard super duty to a custom axle and he lays out the costs not mentioned in builds. This is without paying someone to do it.