Spence621

I'm interested in driving to Cabo San Lucas some day, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience down there?

MotoMatt

yea. i doubt you would make it. have fun with that one. cabo is fine, but the citys you have to go through to get there...yup. your probably gonna get shot. however, you tend to ask for advice and never listen to what anybody tells you, so im sure your going to try anyways.

chmichels

My dad went with his buddy down there towing the dude's 80 grand fishing boat to Cabo, said it was pretty sketchy and the roads were very narrow and dangerous. That was a few years ago, I think it would be even worse now. When I was in Cabo, I found the cops to be VERY corrupt, Mexico is fun but it is also pretty dangerous with the cartel problems, and I think it is way worse now. I probably wouldn't do the drive, unless I could carry an AK or something similar.

Styx

The expo forum doods have a very different view of what an acceptable level of risk is. We're talking about a set of people who find a trip thru afganistan, pakistan, and Iran perfectly safe.
All depends on what your level of risk is. Would I do something like that before I had a family, maybe. Would I go now and take my family? Not on your life.

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

Spence621

Yeah, I understand. It's just an idea so far. I'm getting a lot of opinions so I can form a well-rounded decision.

chmichels

I think the trip would be really cool, and I think it would have been much safer 5 years ago. Just heard too many stories of things that the gangs and drug cartels do down there. Only experience is stuff that the crooked ass cops did to us down in Cabo.

Bitosin

Back in the 50's our family took a vacation and drove down through Mexico with no incidents and nothing but friendly people along the way. Times have changed and it wouldn't be the same now. I don't think I would try it.

Spence621

I think the trip would be really cool, and I think it would have been much safer 5 years ago. Just heard too many stories of things that the gangs and drug cartels do down there. Only experience is stuff that the crooked ass cops did to us down in Cabo.
Can you please elaborate?

Spence621

Back in the 50's our family took a vacation and drove down through Mexico with no incidents and nothing but friendly people along the way. Times have changed and it wouldn't be the same now. I don't think I would try it.

Yeah, it's too bad the way their government can't handle the drug cartels. My parents definitely won't let me go. Maybe I'll plan some kind of trip around/ through Nevada.

floor ya

with common sence and a little luck its fine. there are 1,000's of americans that do it every year.think of how many race teams and fans drive down there for the big races every year.the biggest problem areas are the border towns.once you get down into baja the people are nice and glad to see you. cross the border in the morning and plan your first night a couple hundred miles south.
stay on the main road.
it wont be very long and you will see other americans doing the same thing your doing. most americans stick out like a sore thumb any where you find peso's.you might want to stick together and travel in a little convoy.
stay in busy camp grounds or motels.DONT camp on the beach or out in the desert.
if your in an area that looks a little scetchy, look for rv's. there are tons of snowbirds from the us and canada that still stay down there every year.
dont stand out in the crowd or flash money or "nice" things.there are banks and atms in most towns with a gas pump. so only carry a couple days worth of cash at a time.and a visa is good most anywhere.and NEVER leave your passport where anyone can see/grab it.before you leave make photo copys of all your important papers .drivers lic.,passport,insurance card,ect. and hide them somewhere in your car.
speaking of insurance, check with your auto policy to see if you are covered in mexico. some wont.
dont try and sneek anything in or out. ie.gun,pot,pipe,ect.
and dont get hammered drunk or buy drugs/pot from "anyone".you will get asked alot if you want to buy pot.dont do it. most people with crocked cop/or getting robbed storys have one common factor. booze or pot/drugs.
be careful who you take with you as a travel companion. we all have friends who drink to much, get in fights to easy, or just act like complete idiots. you dont want to find your self in trouble a couple hundred miles south because your buddy "dave" thought it was a great idea to get drunk and piss on a cop car.(dont ask me to elaborate any more on that one:) ).
it comes down to this.a couple white kids in a jeep driving to baja mexico is not as safe as a couple white kids driving to utah. but its probley not as dangerous as the same white kids driving to oakland.(that was a joke). so if your going to do it think smart and be safe and have a great time. your only young once.and what is life without a little risk and danger.

Spence621

Thanks for the advice! But my parents definitely aren't buying it. Maybe when I'm older I guess. I think I'll drive cross country Nevada to Utah, or Moab or something?

Spence621

with common sence and a little luck its fine. there are 1,000's of americans that do it every year.think of how many race teams and fans drive down there for the big races every year.the biggest problem areas are the border towns.once you get down into baja the people are nice and glad to see you. cross the border in the morning and plan your first night a couple hundred miles south.
stay on the main road.
it wont be very long and you will see other americans doing the same thing your doing. most americans stick out like a sore thumb any where you find peso's.you might want to stick together and travel in a little convoy.
stay in busy camp grounds or motels.DONT camp on the beach or out in the desert.
if your in an area that looks a little scetchy, look for rv's. there are tons of snowbirds from the us and canada that still stay down there every year.
dont stand out in the crowd or flash money or "nice" things.there are banks and atms in most towns with a gas pump. so only carry a couple days worth of cash at a time.and a visa is good most anywhere.and NEVER leave your passport where anyone can see/grab it.before you leave make photo copys of all your important papers .drivers lic.,passport,insurance card,ect. and hide them somewhere in your car.
speaking of insurance, check with your auto policy to see if you are covered in mexico. some wont.
dont try and sneek anything in or out. ie.gun,pot,pipe,ect.
and dont get hammered drunk or buy drugs/pot from "anyone".you will get asked alot if you want to buy pot.dont do it. most people with crocked cop/or getting robbed storys have one common factor. booze or pot/drugs.
be careful who you take with you as a travel companion. we all have friends who drink to much, get in fights to easy, or just act like complete idiots. you dont want to find your self in trouble a couple hundred miles south because your buddy "dave" thought it was a great idea to get drunk and piss on a cop car.(dont ask me to elaborate any more on that one:) ).
it comes down to this.a couple white kids in a jeep driving to baja mexico is not as safe as a couple white kids driving to utah. but its probley not as dangerous as the same white kids driving to oakland.(that was a joke). so if your going to do it think smart and be safe and have a great time. your only young once.and what is life without a little risk and danger.
I've pretty much ditched the Baja plan and am now thinking of going cross-country Nevada to Moab, mess around there for a few days, and then back.