Shamus30

I think some the singletrack they rode on in Moab would be too small for a truck though. But it did give me some more perspective on the geology/ landscape, so thanks.

Keep reading, he runs up to Prudhoe Bay Alaska then all the way down to the tip of Chile and back to Denver (via Florida).

It is a good read for anyone considering any type of Adventure / Overland travel. Even though he was on a MC, he spent most of his time on car roads and such. The Moab part was the only real single track of the whole trek.

Something similar to his Alaska trek would be a good way to cut your teeth on that type of travel while still having the safety net of being in 1st world countries.

Once you head south, the rules change and the way you travel does too.

Spence621

Yeah, I'll save the South American stuff for when I'm a grad student doing archaeological work down there. I'm satisfied with what is more readily available at the moment.

RARECJ8

have made the trip several times w/o incident. just got back today from mainland mexico and no issues. floorya's advise is spot on. some of the best beach camping is just south of mulege and around la paz. it can and still is done every day just don't get a case of road rage with a tinted window suburban w/ mexican plates...

Spence621

have made the trip several times w/o incident. just got back today from mainland mexico and no issues. floorya's advise is spot on. some of the best beach camping is just south of mulege and around la paz. it can and still is done every day just don't get a case of road rage with a tinted window suburban w/ mexican plates...

Thanks for all the advice, but my parents are immune to first-hand accounts. All they see is the sensationalism in the news, that's how they make their decision. So it's definitel not happening for me. They said Moab would be okay though. Any suggestions for moderate trails there? I'm not looking for the extreme stuff by any means.

Spence621

Try this one on for size: http://transworldexpedition.com

Mexico advice...don't eat the worm.....first hand account, trust me. LOL

See the states and Canada first. Much safer and there is a lot to see, this is a beautiful country.

Thanks, that was a really interesting read. But I think I'm off the Mexico plan, more onto a Moab plan. I'm interested in researching or hearing about easy to moderate trails through that area. Any pointers?

RCKDNCR

There is a book on the Moab trails
And area, practically every store in Moab has it for around $15 dollars
It explains most trails, rates them, gives coordinates and history. Get the book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spence621

There is a book on the Moab trails
And area, practically every store in Moab has it for around $15 dollars
It explains most trails, rates them, gives coordinates and history. Get the book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, sounds like a good idea, thanks.