Barely Legal - A TJ to LJ project

Rock Hobbit

Hey all,

Just about to really dig in to my first project. It's an 05 TJ that i will be adding 15" to the frame/body to achieve LJ length. Since I am a NOOB it seemed easier to add body and frame to get the wheelbase i wanted versus a front stretch. And I gain all of the interior room that so many pay big bucks for.

The current parts list is this-
14b rear with ARB
HP KP 60 Front with ZIP Locker
5.38 Yukon Gears
14" ORI's
Complete PSC hydro assist set up
Trail Ready Bead Locks with 40" Trep Radials
And some other shtuff....

So here goes. I welcome your input and advice. I have a lot to learn and am not fully committed to any one direction yet. I hope to have the frame stretch done within the next couple weeks. Then its to the point of no return and time to commit.

Rock Hobbit

Before the tear down. It was a perfectly good TJ on front and rear 44’s with a modified short arm lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rock Hobbit

In my search for armor to replace what was on it I was only able to find two vendors that had what I wanted. Artec and Genright. They were the only two that offered extended length sliders that matched up to their blank corners. Genrights were a bit pricey so I went with the Artecs. Should be here any day!

Rock Hobbit

Picked up this donor tub last week. Might just have to turn it into a Brute Crawler for my next project. I’ll chop 15” out of the tub and splice it into Barely Legal.

Rock Hobbit

My Artec Armor arrived today. I posted on Jeeps On Tons looking for a deal. Maxx Pehling from Northridge 4X4 was the first guy to contact me and got me a killer deal. So here we are. Only GenRight and Artec make extended length sliders and blank corners for LJ’s. But a set of GenRights would have cost substantially more. So Artec’s for the win!

Rock Hobbit

Got all of the brackets off and the frame cleaned up. I’m going to use my new armor to line everything up. The new Artec sliders a awesome love the design and look. Got one on before I ran out of steam.

Rock Hobbit

The mount underneath with rivnuts. It’s a PITA but it’s really clean. Forgot to get a shot of it on. I’ll put the corners on the back half. Line everything up. Tack weld the frame in place, remove the sliders and weld it all back together. Then I’ll work on the tub.

Rock Hobbit

Had to take a class today. I got about 4 more hours in. Mounted the driver side slider, did some body and frame prep, mounted the corners and got it into place within a 1/8”. Almost ready to weld the frame. Looking like a limousine!