Best 42" bias ply tires?

Brizzman

Premium Member
I need new tires for my FJ. I'm currently running 39.5" Iroks and figure I have room for 42s. This is a trailer'd rig. I want a bias ply rock crawling tire and don't care about road performance at all. I have 16.5 H1 double beadlock wheels and usually run around 8 or 9 psi. Thinking about Pitbull Rockers, but they may be special order and take a while. I'm showing cords on one tire now and can't wheel on these anymore.
Looking for something on the next week or so hopefully.
What's the best?

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I’ve been told the pit bulls have STIFF sidewalls with ZERO flex even at single digit PSI.

Brizzman

Premium Member
With 16.5s seems like rockers, iroks, or TSL(SX)s are your only (good) choices?
So, that's what it looks like. Just wondering if someone else knows more than me.
I’ve been told the pit bulls have STIFF sidewalls with ZERO flex even at single digit PSI.
What I've read is that they are great and stick real well. With the double beadlocks I can air down very low ( nothing actually) without slipping a bead. I'm not sure what I will get, but if I'm going to fork out the money, I want to know that it's worth it. I don't have any first hand knowledge of any of the 42's and limited knowledge of the 39.5" Iroks as mine were used when I got them. They worked well, but wore out fast because they were old.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Trust me I’m just as concerned as I have a set of worn out 40s for rollers and mock up. I’ve seen the mew MTRs on trails as well as iroks and I’m sure both have haters. If you liked the IROKs why not get those in a 42?

maxamillion2345

I think they're all pretty proven tires. You may have a hard time finding the Pitbulls and they're $200 more per tire than a TSL SX and the Iroks are $100 more than the TSL SX. I think either interco tire is a solid choice and they're both a lot cheaper than a rocker. And probably easier to find at any given moment.

Brizzman

Premium Member
Trust me I’m just as concerned as I have a set of worn out 40s for rollers and mock up. I’ve seen the mew MTRs on trails as well as iroks and I’m sure both have haters. If you liked the IROKs why not get those in a 42?
I may and probably will go with the Iroks, but I had heard that the Pitbull Rockers in 42" were awesome, the shit, amazing, bla bla bla. If so I want them, but they are expensive and so far special order.
I think they're all pretty proven tires. You may have a hard time finding the Pitbulls and they're $200 more per tire than a TSL SX and the Iroks are $100 more than the TSL SX. I think either interco tire is a solid choice and they're both a lot cheaper than a rocker. And probably easier to find at any given moment.
That is exactly what I've found out so far. The TSLs are in stock at 4wd parts in town. I can go buy them in half an hour. Not sure about the Iroks, and the Rockers I can only find from Pitbull so far, and may be special order.