BigNorm

Norm the Big

HI all. I was referred here by Dr. Smash out of Carson City. I reside in Dayton, NV and my obsession is wheeling and working on my 86 Bronco. I've extended it's wheelbase 7.5": 3" in the front and 4.5 in the rear using rear Bronco leafs both front and rear. I'm running a Welded 88 Ford D60 up front and a 10.5" 14 bolt off of an 80s 3/4 Ton Chevy in the rear. It's got a Detroit locker. It's currently got 4.10s on 38" tires. I know this sucks but I slapped it together this way because I have gone too long without wheeling it. (I've been putting it together for the last year and a half). The drivetrain consists of a 351W, C6, NP208. It's been alot of work and I did it all my self. I look forward to wheeling the hell out of it the rest of this summer.
IM001167.jpg

If you would like to see more pics of my Bronco they can be found at my superford link. Take Care. I'm glad I finally found a local board. NORM

JOE THE TOE

Fully Getting It Big Norm!!!!! It,s Always Nice To Get In Your Rig On A Nice Summer Day Wether It Be After Work Or On The Weekend And Go Play. Even If There Are No Rocks Involved, Just A Nice Stroll Thru The Desert Is Good Too.

Norm the Big

Thanx for the kudos guys. I've been working the bugs out one by one. (Did you know the carb doesn't like to have a vacuum source hooked to another vac on the manifold?) :lolrun: It's been a long trial. It is nice just to cruise down any old dirt road thats near me.
IM001185.jpg

Norm the Big

No. I just stopped there for the pic. This hill seems to like a little momentum, second gear (low), and hammer down. :D I'm loving the hell out of the welded front. I was skeptical of it because of all the steering problems I've heard. In dirt and sand with my Saginaw pump it turns the 38s with no problems. A ladder bar setup is definately coming soon to deal with the rear axlewrap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Connect

Welded the front spider gears? I bet thats fun on the street :)

Makes me want to put a 9" lift on my blazer, 38" boggers, mpfi kit.

Norm the Big

Welded the front spider gears?
The guy who welded this went way beyond the spider gears
IM000892.jpg

I bet thats fun on the street
No it's not fun on the street. That's when I have to get out and unlock the hubs. I've only been seriously testing my truck for the last 2 weeks and I absolutely love the gain in traction. I went welded because of monetary concerns and I got a good deal on the diff and gears. I built this truck as my wheeler/camping rig. I've got more junk to haul to my remote locations than I can list. I'll just say that when set up my wife and I are real comfy. Who cruises in 4wd on the street anyway? In the snow I plan on just locking one side. It's not ideal but it's what I've got. Anyone who has an ARB they want to give me is more than welcome to it. :D
Makes me want to put a 9" lift on my blazer, 38" boggers, mpfi kit.
Make sure you scrap your POS 10 bolts and replace them with the propper One Ton units. You can also get away with less lift by cutting and/or extending the wheelbase.

Last edited by a moderator:

4xyota

Man you should go down to shaffers and check out the green bronco they just got done with they put coilovers on the front and Y-linked the rear, heard it scored pretty damn good on the ramp to :D

Norm the Big

Sounds like a cool setup. I've known more guys to have gone from coilovers to leafs than I have leafs to coilovers. It's a reliability thing. I'm proud to have done this pretty much on the cheap with mostly stock parts.

Samco Fab

Nice Bronco,thats a pretty bulletproof setup. What does that put your wheelbase at, about 114?? I would get rocker pannel protection sooner than later, I made that mistake on my Bronco and wasted the sheetmetal pretty quickly.
How strong are those 208 Tcases, I know they are alum. and chain driven. That might be your weak spot in your drivetrain. I have a Ford 205 if you are interested.

Norm the Big

Thanks for the compliment. I believe my wheelbase is around 112". That's judging off of if a stock bronco is 105" I can't remember if it's 105 or 107. If it's 107 then you'd be pretty close at 114.5" I stretched it 3" up front and 4.5" in the rear.

I've got 3x3 square tube bolted to the bottom of my quaters. I'd like some full out sliders like you're talking about eventually to help slide around boulders. Especially with the extra wheelbase and bigger tires.
IM000148.jpg

I know the NP208 is a weak point but it's what I've got at the moment. I plan on doing a NP203/205 doubler in the future. I may be interested in the 205 for that project if the price is right. It's still aways down my list of things to do.

I did my whole rig as inexpensively as I could. I know a few guys who've gone with stock rear leafs up front but most went with lift leafs in the rear. Mine are still stock which makes for great flex but I'm thinking at a small loss of sidehill stability and clearance between the shackle and the ground. I didn't even have my D60 when I started putting together my front xmember. I just went off of information I acquired from a guy named Keith L. One of the big name guys in the fullsizebronco.com forumns. He's popular for coming up with a pretty reliable SAS with F350 leafs and rearward mounted shackles.

Here's a list of things I still plan to do:
5.13s (4.11s on 38s suck but hey, I use what I've got)
fuel injection (I'm still not sure if I'll be going Ford or Chevy TBI)
35 spline outers
Dedenbear knuckles
hydro assist steering
44/19.5r15 boggers (I'm totally infatuated with this tire. But I want to make sure it's built for them before I go there)

Any other suggestions you can think of would be greatly appreciated. My build generally goes slow but I do make progress one small step at a time. :)
Thanks again! NORM

Norm the Big

After having my original Warn 8000 for years I finally got around to making it work on my truck. (When I had it mounted before I accidently broke the power bolt and had to have it taken off to be rebuilt) Anywho. I've made a receiver hitch for the front and mounted a receiver on the mount. I don't think it looks half bad:
IM001341.jpg

IM001343.jpg

IM001344.jpg

Scrub

Looks Good on your truck. might look weird on a smaller vehicle but it fits with your bronco :yes:

Norm the Big

Scrub said:
Looks Good on your truck. might look weird on a smaller vehicle but it fits with your bronco :yes:
Thanx. We'll see how good/ bad it looks when I get around to making the front bumper for the xj. I'll be putting a receiver on it also. It'll be cool to be able to swap it back and forth. Since my xj is my commuter the winch will probably see more time on it.