Black Rock Desert

Styx

I'm planning a camping trip to the Black Rock Desert at the end of May (Memorial Day). I'm no stranger to the desert, but curious about any equipment ideas or advice people might have about playa camping.

Also does anyone know if there's any place local that sells good high quality (national geographic style) paper maps of the NCA?

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I'm planning a camping trip to the Black Rock Desert at the end of May (Memorial Day). I'm no stranger to the desert, but curious about any equipment ideas or advice people might have about playa camping.

Also does anyone know if there's any place local that sells good high quality (national geographic style) paper maps of the NCA?
Hopefully Rarecj8 chimes in, He sounds like he really knows that area well!

sierrahsky

I would suggest REI. They can print on water proof mats any place your going in super HD.

jfrey123

Some sort of mobile shade/awning for your site, the sun isn't so bad now but it's worse than anywhere else at the moment. I may be wrong, but I believe you're required to keep your camp fires in a fire pit or barrel so you don't 'disturb' the playa.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I believe there is a ham radio test on the 16th of april and the coverage out that way is decent, might be a good idea to get before you go. Www.arrl.org you can look up the next test that way

Styx

Some sort of mobile shade/awning for your site, the sun isn't so bad now but it's worse than anywhere else at the moment. I may be wrong, but I believe you're required to keep your camp fires in a fire pit or barrel so you don't 'disturb' the playa.

I've been looking into a number of options in the "fire tray" area, not super keen on any of the ones being sold. Too much cash, I'll probably make my own.

I believe there is a ham radio test on the 16th of april and the coverage out that way is decent, might be a good idea to get before you go. Www.arrl.org you can look up the next test that way

I'll look into it. Buying a radio though wasn't on my shopping list. Maybe it should be.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I've been looking into a number of options in the "fire tray" area, not super keen on any of the ones being sold. Too much cash, I'll probably make my own.

I'll look into it. Buying a radio though wasn't on my shopping list. Maybe it should be.

you can pick them up super cheap anymore, and someone people on here might loan a radio for a weekend. you can get this radio brand new for 130 bucks! http://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=110&idproduct=1804

and this one thats got 75 more watts for 150! http://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=110&idproduct=1827

69cj5

Is this for the Playa or Black Rock?

Black Rock is amazing, but it is EXTREMELY desolate. Bring 2 of everything. If you break down, it is a VERY long walk. Probably too far to walk out, but depending on where you are actually at, you may be lucky enough to find a ride from someone else.

If it is just the Playa, bring sunscreen and some type of shade. I don't know why anyone would really want to camp on the Playa. Very dusty and very dirty. Somewhat desolate, but nothing like Black Rock.

PhantomRage

If you break down, it is a VERY long walk. Probably too far to walk out, but depending on where you are actually at, you may be lucky enough to find a ride from someone else.

If you break down, best bet is to Go south and get by the railroad tracks. Then walk west to Gerlach. If a train goes by, wave your arms at the engineer or conductor. They might not stop, but will call the dispatcher and let them know they see someone by the tracks and may need help. (no we can't always stop)

maxamillion2345

I've owned an MSR Dromedary for several years, it has served me well. Of course even the largest wouldn't be enough water for out there.

Styx

I've owned an MSR Dromedary for several years, it has served me well. Of course even the largest wouldn't be enough water for out there.

It would just be so I could "stuff" more water in my jeep. I'm bring 2 gal/person/day either way. And this time I'm planning on camping on the playa. Why? Because I've never done it! lol

How big of a danger is wind? This is pretty important in deciding what sort of awning to have. I've read stories of massive wind/dust storms during Burning Man. Are these as common early in the year, or does the wind just blow constantly like everywhere else in Nevada? lol

I don't plan on going without two vehicles, and I understand how remote the whole area is, that's the draw. If I'm not sure of my rig then I won't be going, simple.

I can cover 25 miles on foot in a day in the desert, but don't plan on letting that happen. If I don't get a ham radio and license I'll take a spot and I have my compass merit badge :)

Thanks for everyones concern ;)

Styx

Planning on it. I thought of camping at Soldier Meadows but The Friends of the Black Rock are doing their thing that weekend so I might have to put it off until a later trip and just hit double instead.

rusty_tlc

Get this book
http://www.19thcenturypublications.com/bkBlackRockHighRockGuide.html

A HAM radio that you know how to use would be a good thing, you will need to know how to set it up for repeater use and know some repeater frequencies and PL tones.

I would never have a camp fire out there. The stars are freaking amazing because there is NO light pollution.

I'd skip camping on the Plya itself, the Double hot springs would be a better place to camp IMHO. Soaking in a hot tub looking at more stars than you've ever seen in your life before, that's tough to beat.

It's no different than going anyplace in N. Nevada, bring what you would on any trip to a remote area.

One cool thing is you can blast across the plya, it's smoother than some sections of McCarren. :D

Depending on where you are you might be closer to Gerlach or Soldier Meadows Ranch. A map and GPS wouldn't be a bad thing to have. I carry the Delorme and Benchmark map atlas' in addition to my TOPO map equipped GPS.

Spence621

I've seen people use the inside of washing machines, just the cylinder part. It's perforated, which allows for better heat distribution and air flow.

Sasquatch

Premium Member
Ha! I spend WAY too much time out there by myself. Every year for the past 3 years I've gone out there and camped. And each time I went alone. Bring lots of water, and make sure your car is in good working condition. Other than that, its all fun. I was actually planning another trip out there this memorial day as well. There's still a few things I want to see. The playa is usually still wet in places that time of year. i damn near got stuck last year at trego.

Black rock hot Springs:

19680_334215739049_559234049_4854165_6488549_n.jpg

62877_481840039049_559234049_6969604_5658724_n.jpg

Double Hot springs Pool:

61982_481832664049_559234049_6969424_8306719_n.jpg

Double HS:

19680_334215749049_559234049_4854166_8149889_n.jpg

My Camp at Black Rock HS (The pit was already there and has been there for for at least the 3 years I have been up there:

19680_334215699049_559234049_4854160_1804918_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Premium Member
Here's a pic overlooking double Hot springs:

60555_481839924049_559234049_6969601_5694662_n.jpg

And one more looking South towards Gerlach and Reno from the top of the Black Rock:

60030_481844209049_559234049_6969783_3447502_n.jpg