Black Rock Desert

NoTownXJ

I've seen rigs carrying "portable runway" sections like were used in WWII . About 18" wide and about 10' long with holes in them. Many would hook together to form a temporary landing strip. I don't know where you could get them tho.

Those "bridging ladders" are cool. Looks like lightweight but strong.

I know like 3 people that have tons of the portable runway sections and for the right price you could have some of your own.

RARECJ8

marsden mats are cool. saw once where a guy used one, cut down middle lengthwise and used each one as a running board then when needed easily disconnected, etc. But they're heavy...

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
I've seen rigs carrying "portable runway" sections like were used in WWII . About 18" wide and about 10' long with holes in them. Many would hook together to form a temporary landing strip. I don't know where you could get them tho.

Those "bridging ladders" are cool. Looks like lightweight but strong.

Air Sierra/Sierra4x4Trailers.com sells these If I remember correct:
http://www.maxtrax.com.au/

Styx

The maxtrax are ok, but I don't think you could use them for bridging like the poly fibre grates. I think overland journal did a review I'll see if I can find it.

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

Bitosin

I just looked up the Marsten Mats...Pressed Steel Planking (portable runway sections) They are 10' x 16" and weigh 150 lbs ! Probably not the best trail option, but probably can be had cheaper than the plastic ones.

rusty_tlc

I just looked up the Marsten Mats...Pressed Steel Planking (portable runway sections) They are 10' x 16" and weigh 150 lbs ! Probably not the best trail option, but probably can be had cheaper than the plastic ones.
I've seen pictures on the interwebs of similar metal planks made out of aluminum and only about 6'. You usually see them strapped to the side of a Land Rover in the middle of the Mongolian Desert or something.

gunrunner1911

I love Black Rock. It's such a cool and interesting place although I have to admit I don't explore much of the area OFF the Playa.
My experience is usually from mid June to early Oct. In 09 the spring was so wet we thought we weren't going to get on the playa. It was doable even with a lot of precip earlier. The playa turns to this sticky mud that usually collects in the wheel wells and on the tires till they meet in the middle and it stops you. One spot can be dry another not and the only way to be sure is to see dust from the tires. I have gotten stuck by going into it less that 10ft in 4wd with good tires during a rescue mission. It taught me to respect it and make sure you have a long strap or rope. No one is going to come near you. If dry you can blast down the playa at 100mph just be carefull of the "sand serpants" that pop up and move from year to year they can hurt if hit at speed and ther emay be a who herd of them that will tear up your suspension.
The dust was non existant unlike in 07 when instead of what we normaly cal Mud Rock we called Dust Rock. Normal EZ ups are used but in the evening or if winds pick up we take the tops off. I have seen a few rounds of EZ up Rodeo and it ain't cool. They tend to keep rolling till they are a heap of twisted metal. It can take up to 4 guys to "bulldog" the thing. Most use screw in anchors and tiedown straps they still can pull out or it will shred your canvas. The dust on the Playa has patterns and we have adjusted the launch site accordingly through observation and some pretty cool research done by some very bored PHDs. I drove through a sand storm one year to get to the launch and found that once through it everything was clear and only breezy. The dust was south and west of the launch leaving the NE area clear.
You can freeze or fry either way it is not dependant on time of year check the weather report BEFORE packing you clothing. I always bring a sweatshirt and light jacket plus winter hat shade hat and gloves light cotton wrok gloves are fine. I have pics from several XPRS launches in Sept in boths shorts and t shirt and Jeans and sweatshirt or coat.
Water and more water I have used 2+ gallns a day there to stay hydrated and even if it's cool you need to drink. Chapstick and sunscreen are good investments as well.
Fires directly on the playa are not allowed it cooks the dirt into a hard clay. If your just roasting marsh mellows or providing atmosphere I suggest a small weber type grill. Dug fire pits can be used off the playa as normal. Open fires are governed by the fire bans etc.
Friend of BR have good info and heres a lnik fron the Aeropac website. http://www.aeropac.org/blackrock.html Most of the non launch info you need can be found at the bottom of the page.
You can always post pone your tripand join us for Mud Rock or just come back out. Its a good time.

PhantomRage

Snipped from there site.... Darn lucky to be alive.
"OH ****!!!"
DeadTruck.jpg

ZIPGRAVER

I was in Gerlach yesterday and there seemed to be quite a bit of water around and on tthe playa. Saw some pretty deep ruts in the muck. No snow anywhere that I could see.

Sasquatch

Premium Member
Yeah I was talking to a family that took their campers and a trailer out there and got stuck out on the playa.

Styx

Yeah, after getting a couple of condition reports I'm going to put this off another month of so. It'll give me more time to get even better prepared anyway and test some of my new stuff in less punishing enviroments.

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

BrownCJ7

Soldier meadows will have the usual assortment of campers and steven's camp will likely have campers. Getting thru high rock after our wet winter might be nasty.

The area round high rock lake and little high rock canyon is a huge mud bog and has claimed many experienced drivers.

This might be a tad early for a playa jaunt and the foothills will be muddy and likely snow on the north face of the roads.

FWIW, We went thru High Rock yesterday. We went in from hwy 34. There was some mud at Little High Rock, but everyone made it thru. There was also a little mud on the south end of High Rock Canyon, but there was a bypass for it. We had a pickup w/31's, and he went everywhere we did.:cool:

Pics from yesterday.

Last edited:

RARECJ8

awesome pix! we love steven's camp and the area. Last time we passed the 'garage' (ur #7) there was a big steer skull over the doorway. Guess its long gone now. And aah, the LHRH in #28-- have spent many good times there. Tnx for the report.