Block Heaters

dylan8427

Who makes a block heater that's worth a shit? I just put in a Kat's 600W in the 6.2L on Sunday and it's dead already - shorted to ground (~12 ohms resistance across either lead to ground, at the heater not the cord). Got a whopping 3 days out of it. Can't use one that goes in the lower hose or in heater lines the way the FJ is set up, must be the freeze plug style. I guess I'm back to cranking for several minutes with lots of smoke and maybe ether until I get it replaced. And yes, all 8 glow plugs are good. Engine is 100+ psi low on compression on all 8 (~320 psi). It's basically my only vehicle though.

WC43

I have owned two Cummins powered Dodges, they use a core plug (Freeze plug) style heaters and they have always worked good, not sure if they are the same size but worth checking. I had to replace the one my 1996 a couple of years ago, but after about twenty years I think I got my money's worth.

WILLD420

Premium Member
Buy the gm one on eBay.

In the mean time, put a 75 watt bulb in a metal drop light and put it under the hood at night near the intake or injection pump. Throw a blanket over the hood to keep the heat in.

dylan8427

Buy the gm one on eBay.

In the mean time, put a 75 watt bulb in a metal drop light and put it under the hood at night near the intake or injection pump. Throw a blanket over the hood to keep the heat in.

I did even better, I tried putting a 1,000W halogen aimed at the intake all night... didn't do anything.

I have owned two Cummins powered Dodges, they use a core plug (Freeze plug) style heaters and they have always worked good, not sure if they are the same size but worth checking. I had to replace the one my 1996 a couple of years ago, but after about twenty years I think I got my money's worth.

Looking at application charts it looks like they take different heaters. But maybe I can find out if the freeze plugs are the same size, not sure that's enough to make it compatible though. Block thickness may play a roll.

Contacted Amazon (where I bought it) and they sent me another one, so I guess as soon as I get it I'll replace it again, but if the new one only lasts a few days again I wont try again lol