Boat trailer axle

mattific

Premium Member
So last week my family took our boat up to Lake Shasta. At some point on the way there, it looks as if all the grease in the wheel hubs exploded and covered the rims. The odd thing is that this happened on all 4 wheels. And with the next trip in a week there's no time for a shop. It drove the whole way back like that without any issues. Trailer is about 10 years old, and trailer buddy is stamped on the axle. Does anyone know why or what could cause that to happen?

SmallWilly

I would guess the seals gave out due to age or road grit. Hot weather and old grease that turned liquid caused it to squirt out. Repack the bearings and replace the seals you will be good to go. I would check the bearings and races for bluing or damage as well. Last thing you want on a trip is a bearing to go and loose a wheel.

Shawn Trooper

What happens is when you dunk the hot hubs into cool water the hub creates a vaccume. If you have bad wheel seals this vacuum will suck water into the hubs with so much force the grease explodes out of the hubs via displacement. As Paul said repack wheel bearings and replace the wheel seals. Be sure to use only a marine seal as it seals in both directions to keep grease inside the hub and water outside. Many people including myself use gear oil in place of bearing grease because the hubs run cooler making the vacuum less strong in turn the wheel seals last longer.

SmallWilly

What happens is when you dunk the hot hubs into cool water the hub creates a vaccume. If you have bad wheel seals this vacuum will suck water into the hubs with so much force the grease explodes out of the hubs via displacement. As Paul said repack wheel bearings and replace the wheel seals. Be sure to use only a marine seal as it seals in both directions to keep grease inside the hub and water outside. Many people including myself use gear oil in place of bearing grease because the hubs run cooler making the vacuum less strong in turn the wheel seals last longer.

If you put in oil, how do you seal the dust cap side?

WILLD420

Premium Member
They make kits to do it right. If you google it, you will find the solution.

If you are getting trailer bearings more than just warm to the touch, you need to check your setup unless you were using the brakes hard. Trailer hubs should never be too hot to hold or you need to slow down, upgrade bearing sizes or loosen the bearings. Trailer bearings aren't torqued tight like a vehicle wheel bearing. They run just a hair loose or they will overheat.