Bolivia, Cottonwood Canyon Trail Condition???

XJ97Sport

Hey All,

It's been over a year and a half since I've been to Bolivia then out through Cottonwood Canyon and out to Dixie Valley. Heard that the steep rock face (down in the canyon) has been washed out even more and some vehicles (long wheel base, like a Defender 110 or Sportsmobile, maybe even D90s or XJs) may need to be winched over some of the boulders. Anybody been through there recently and know the condition of the trail. Planning a trip out there in January.
(80 to Lovelock, then out Coal Canyon Rd, Kitten Springs, Bolivia/Cottonwood Canyon)

Thanks in advance.

4x Adventurer

The last time I was out there was September of this year. Yes that rock has been washed out more than in the past. I compared some current pictures to pictures from 2009 and it looks like 18" more +/- at the bottom of the rock is exposed. This also created a step at the bottom that makes it more of a challenge. It can be driven up with out winching, but a lot depends on tires and driver. Its the second place that will most likely require winching. I'm sure someone can get through it with out a winch, but not me!

XJ97Sport

4x... Awesome, thanks for the update and the pics. If we do decide to go through there I'll be sure and take some pics.

Mike

A few of us went about two months ago. That trail is just fun. It is washed out all the way through.

Mike

You can make it without a winch, you just need a good spoter and the right line...If you go have fun, we are heading out to War Canyon this weekend

The last time I was out there was September of this year. Yes that rock has been washed out more than in the past. I compared some current pictures to pictures from 2009 and it looks like 18" more +/- at the bottom of the rock is exposed. This also created a step at the bottom that makes it more of a challenge. It can be driven up with out winching, but a lot depends on tires and driver. Its the second place that will most likely require winching. I'm sure someone can get through it with out a winch, but not me!

RARECJ8

Premium Member
You can make it without a winch, you just need a good spoter and the right line...If you go have fun, we are heading out to War Canyon this weekend

Have not been up War in a LONG time. Since before the old station at cold springs burned down. Can one still dive up War headed west to Cherry Valley then loop back to starting point via Cherry Canyon? Fun day loop.

hijack off...

Mike

Yes....Was a great trail, not hard just fun, cut wood and x-mas trees, had dinner at cold springs

Have not been up War in a LONG time. Since before the old station at cold springs burned down. Can one still dive up War headed west to Cherry Valley then loop back to starting point via Cherry Canyon? Fun day loop.

hijack off...