Bowfishing in Nevada????

Black's R&R

So my wife is a bartender in Gardnerville and with the MWTC being here, we meet a lot of Marines I was talking with one the other day and he is intrested in bowfishing here (he is from Arkansas) anybody know what the laws are here regarding bowfishing ????? I think it would be fun.
lemme know what you know
John

Fyresq

I don't think you need a license but you can only bowfish for non-game species which pretty much leaves just Carp. I don't think you can shoot game species even if you have a license. Topaz Lake is close to him (if he's a marine based at pickel meadows) and you can get them in the shallow water areas or the canal. You can also get them in a lot of areas along the carson river and out at wally's hot springs. I've also been to Mud Lake but it's all private so you have to know someone. One of the best spots used to be the Mexican Dam area in Carson.

A couple of the spots I used to bowfish I have actually gone with a 5 weight flyrod and caught carp form 4-15lbs. and it's a blast having one of those things on a flyrod. Flyrod magazines are starting to sensationalize carp flyfishing - calling it "golden bonefish" fishing. I guess the coveted bonefish that anglers travel the world to catch are considered as worthless to the locals as carp is to us.
carp1.jpg

Last edited:

Black's R&R

thanks Brandon I was thinking along those lines...he was talking about how they used to do it in AR was of a boat with lights at night??? what are your thoughts????

Fyresq

That would be a good question for a warden........the river is probably too muddy to do anything right now but Topaz ???? I have only bowfished in the warm summer months when the water is low.

Fyresq

Sure......still have my whole setup with saltwater reel, 50# line and a couple harpoon arrows

Fyresq

I work with an ex MWTC survival instructor. He's still bada$$. Nobody knew until we went on a strike team (for wildfire) and they based us there and the guys saw his name on the wall.

LENABURG

I work with an ex MWTC survival instructor. He's still bada$$. Nobody knew until we went on a strike team (for wildfire) and they based us there and the guys saw his name on the wall.

Some of the Civvie instructors at SERE when I went were older than dirt, but they surprised the hell outta us.

Fyresq

Our guy was a Marine Sgt. survival instructor, he's now the commander of the bomb squad. Threadjack over :0)

TheCableGuy

Ok, back to Bow Fishing! I've hunted for frogs out in Mason Vally and Carp out by Derby dam. I hear Carson River is the place, but for fishing from a boat....I hear that Lohanton reservoirs low spots can be fished from a flat bottom. No license for Carp, but I'd pick up a license anyway if your planning to sport a rod or two for snagging.

I've got gear, you gotta boat? Heck I'll even take in a survival class or two from any of you just to skewer a Carp or two! Jon, you still working down in Carson?

LENABURG

Ok, back to Bow Fishing! I've hunted for frogs out in Mason Vally and Carp out by Derby dam. I hear Carson River is the place, but for fishing from a boat....I hear that Lohanton reservoirs low spots can be fished from a flat bottom. No license for Carp, but I'd pick up a license anyway if your planning to sport a rod or two for snagging.

I've got gear, you gotta boat? Heck I'll even take in a survival class or two from any of you just to skewer a Carp or two! Jon, you still working down in Carson?

Ya im still here for now. Most likely going back in the armed forces

Fyresq

I have a 14' or 16' aluminum v-hull boat (the bottom is flat inside so I can flyfish standing up and filled with foam so it's anti tip). Never used it for bowfishing but it is just as stable as my flatbottom was. Won't fit more than 2-3 guys. Really need a bass fishing boat.

Field_of_Greens

Fyresq;515083You can also get them in a lot of areas along the carson river and out at wally's hot springs. [/QUOTE said:
Fyresq, I'm curious, how did you do out by Wally's? I thought that was private property? Or is there a way to fish one of the sloughs or ponds without trespassing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!