Bronco Canyon directions?

Patfo

Can any of you guys help me out with some directions to Bronco Canyon?

Next month, May 20-22, a couple of buddies and I will be out in Reno. I have a place in Wingfield Springs, up off Vista.

We'll be able to get in a day of wheeling, Sat. the 21st, and we were planning to just do moonrocks till I saw the thread about Bronco Canyon. Looks like it might be fun.

I saw the "simple instructions" from the other thread about coming in from Lockwood, but not being familiar with the area I'm looking for something a little more detailed. I have a map program and it shows some roads and towns or town sites, like Lousetown and Washington. It also has the powerlines on it.

Thanks

kairo

Staff member
I would imagine someone will post a starting time, detailed directions, and other information soon. . . I hope.

EricsXJ

It appears you already know that the area can be accessed via Lockwood (drive up the road towards the dump and there is a dirt turn off to your right a few miles up. Or you can come in via Lousetown rd which is in the Virginia Highlands on the way to Virginia City.

Problem is, there are so many dirt roads in the area that I couldn't even try to explain in detail how to get to the actual canyon. If you start driving through an area with lots of brush and trees (willows) you'll most likely be heading into one of two canyons - Lagomariso (sp?) is the canyon with the ancient petroglyphs. The other is Bronco Canyon. Both canyons run parallel to each other.

kairo

Staff member
Is anyone planning on meeting at virginia highlands? I'd prefer not to drive all the way up to north reno, then go all the way back to BC via dirt.

deadandcompany

Patfo said:
Next month, May 20-22, a couple of buddies and I will be out in Reno. I have a place in Wingfield Springs, up off Vista.

We'll be able to get in a day of wheeling, Sat. the 21st, and we were planning to just do moonrocks till I saw the thread about Bronco Canyon. Looks like it might be fun.

Thanks

How set up are your rigs? If you have a single day to wheel, you would have more fun at Moonrocks. Bronco Canyon is a very short trail, can be ran from start to finish in about 10 minutes. Plus, it takes awhile to get to the actual begining of the trail. Most time is spent on a dusty fireroad.

Patfo

10 minutes???? thats pretty quick.....But then your in a buggy with 40's so most trails shouldn't be a problem. Our least modified vehicle will be a 4 runner with 33's so I don't anticipate too many problems on the trail ,but you never know. Thanks for the info.