Bronco Canyon question

spoon

I was talking to a local Reno wheeler a while back about Bronco Canyon (I have never been there) and he was telling me that there is an upper portion of the canyon that is a lot tougher than the main part of the canyon. He said this upper section began just above where most rigs exit the canyon. Is this true? I know a lot of you guys on this board are familiar with that trail and I have never heard anyone mention this section of trail. Does this guy not know what he is talking about or what?

EricsXJ

I think the section he is talking about (towards the end of the canyon) is tougher because you don't have very much choice in what line to take if you go through it, unlike the rest of the canyon where you can pick and choose your obstacles. There is a bypass to that difficult section if you don't want to try it.

spoon

This section of trail that you are describing is probably what he was talking about. Does anybody have pics of this section?

Zebaru

There is also the possiblity that he is talking about the part beyond where we usually exit. That canyon extends another half mile or more beyond where we have always gone out.

Almost nobody goes up there, and I have heard that you cannot get a rig all the way through (though I have no idea if this is true). From what I have seen walking up a ways, this section puts the rest to shame, and may be a real delight for the truly hardcore...

Travis

t wrecks

The top part you are talking about is just 1 or 2 extra obstacles that can be tough but only add another 100 feet or so to the trail. The canyon does extend further but for the most part deadends. If you were to go up there I think you would really have to tear it up to get anywhere, its generally not considered part of the trail.

But if you really want to get serious there is another rock canyon in the same area that is rather crazy, bring a lunch AND dinner for that one.

KYOTA

thats where we camped last weekend, ran up did bronco then came back and set up camp and did some night wheeling in there. Nice little camp spot too.

spoon

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I need to check that area out especially that other canyon you mentioned t wrecks. Maybe i'll check it out this weekend. :yup:

rusty_tlc

t wrecks said:
The top part you are talking about is just 1 or 2 extra obstacles that can be tough but only add another 100 feet or so to the trail. The canyon does extend further but for the most part deadends. If you were to go up there I think you would really have to tear it up to get anywhere, its generally not considered part of the trail.

But if you really want to get serious there is another rock canyon in the same area that is rather crazy, bring a lunch AND dinner for that one.
Hey! What's my sock puppet doing posting over here? :D :D

spoon

I am headed out to Bronco canyon this morning. Going in at Lockwood. Where is the best place to leave a tow rig and trailer?

spoon

Loaded up and leaving right now, I guess i'll figure out where to leave the trailer when I get there. If anybody is headed out there today keep an eye out for us, we will be the buggy and blue toyota truck wandering through the hills lost :rolleyes:

spoon

Just got back from the Bronco canyon area. Ran down a canyon that we thought might be Bronco, but I don't think that it was. There was a wrecked green subaru in this canyon. We didn't make it through the trail all the way, the obstacles were getting tougher the further down we went, we were running out of daylight, and one of the rigs was having some suspension issues so we decided to turn around and go back out the way we came in. This canyon didn't look like any of the pics that I have seen posted on this board. Does anyone have any idea as to where we were at?

KYOTA

You'll know if your in Bronco cause you have to go thru some tight trees and a couple of small watery mud holes before the start of the trail. sounds like you were in the longer tougher one which is more fun.

spoon

KYOTA said:
You'll know if your in Bronco cause you have to go thru some tight trees and a couple of small watery mud holes before the start of the trail. sounds like you were in the longer tougher one which is more fun.
Is there a name for this other canyon? Sounds like the one we were in. I have always heard that Bronco canyon was a relatively easy trail so I never really bothered to make a trip out there. I will definitely be going back to this other canyon to run it all the way from the bottom up if I can find the other end of the trail. Just need to replace my tierod and smashed 14 bolt diff cover and i'll be good to go :D . KYOTA have you ran all the way through this canyon?

spoon

We took some pics. I'll see if I can get Samco Fab to post em' up, that is if he can find the time to break away from his busy schedule of installing chrome light bars on hummers :D .

4xyota

ya bronco is along ways back in their, when I went with every one it was a good halfhour or so to get their but we also stoped at the hyroglifs

spoon

t wrecks said:

Hey T wrecks is Dead Horse this "other canyon" that you were talking about?

Samco Fab

The canyon with the Subaru smashed at the bottom was way longer than a hundred yards, it is probably a mile or two at least. Some people have ran it, but probably not too many. It started off easy at the south end and progressively got harder the farther down the wash you went. Some sections were more difficult than the rubicon. We need to get a buggy group to go run the difficult sections. I will download the pictures to my website,then I need someone less retarded about computers to come show me how to post pictures. Dennis or Davidt, stop by next week if you get a chance and help.

KYOTA

Yep the guys that met us and took us out last weekend called it Dead Horse also, said they were running it the first time and found horse bones so they called it Dead Horse. We didnt run the whole thing, started at the top at went about half way thru but they said it gets to be like a solid sluice box and is a lot tougher then Bronco. There is also a good camping spot at the top of end of Dead Horse.