Bud Canyon

j33p3r

I went up Bud Canyon today solo which turned out to make it pretty interesting. I had no idea what the trail had in store so evey turn of the canyon was an adventure. After the second waterfall (v-notch) It seemed like back tracking would be pretty difficult. When we got to the third waterfall which had boulders of about 6' feet tall we bailed up the canyon wall. I would have tried it if we were with another rig. Looks like finding a natural anchor to winch from above the 3rd waterfall maybe challenging.

1st waterfall
Bud%20cnyn%204-05%20(Small).JPG
Bud%20cnyn%204-05%20(1)%20(Small).JPG

2nd waterfall
Bud%20cnyn%204-05%20(11)%20(Small).JPG

Bud%20cnyn%204-05%20(15)%20(Small).JPG

Sauce

looks like a blast! where is bud canyon? Do you have any pictures of the last waterfall? What are the specs on your rig?

j33p3r

Bud is on Peavine 100yrds to the left of the Kings Row access point. I did not take pictures of the last waterfall. Wish I did. Maybe some one else has photos to post.

deadandcompany

Nice work Jim, I wish my buggy was completed so I could join you. Although, I have ran Bud more times then needed. Hoping to be ready for Bronco later this month.

j33p3r

Thanks Aaron, it would have been more fun it I had a partner. Do you still have your red jeep? I haven't seen it parked at your work lately. Does the route continue after the first road crossing?
I don't think I will be able to make the Bronco run due to parenting obligations on that Saturday. Don't you have to work on Sat? If so lets do a Sunday run.

Sauce

if you ever need a person to ride shot gun jim, I am down. I am trying to get my junk ready for action, but would love to go out in the mean time.

deadandcompany

j33p3r said:
Thanks Aaron, it would have been more fun it I had a partner. Do you still have your red jeep? I haven't seen it parked at your work lately. Does the route continue after the first road crossing?
I don't think I will be able to make the Bronco run due to parenting obligations on that Saturday. Don't you have to work on Sat? If so lets do a Sunday run.

The road crossing at the top?? No, that would be passed the big Waterfall. After the V-rock you travel a little further, then the road murges right. At that point it is a straight shot to the end with a visual of the Waterfall. There is a Fire-road on the right side on the trail they entire way, it ends at the same point the trail ends(well at least the fun stuff anyway).

I do not have the Red YJ anymore, I have a full buggy on 40's now. I went out last week and picked up a Superduty to tow the thing. Just need a trailer now.

I do work on all Saturdays, but I have requested the Saturday of the Bronco Canyon trip off. The last time I was was there, was this time last year. I would be down for a Sunday run too. Sundays are when all my wheeling buddys get together to do a run.

-Aaron

PizzaJeep

hey jim.. i was wondering what your screen name was on the site.. haha now i know!! awesome! solo on bud canyon- id join you next time.. but i still need lockers for it...ugh!
i know im going to see you on the BC run.. parenting obligations- pah.. your daughter right? i forgot her name already, but you sould just bring her along again... shell have fun! didnt she have a blast on steves loop?

RARECJ8

"When we got to the third waterfall which had boulders of about 6' feet tall we bailed up the canyon wall. "

Bud is not for the unprepared. One may access the 3rd waterfall from above, butthat's no fun-- altho good place for a winch/anchor rig. This trail is on the 'possible' USFS closure list because of environmental damage. The trail it self is rock bound and causes no heartburn for the Federales, but what has caused them to now become involved is the 'cut out' tracks folks make to get out of (escape?) the canyon. These tracks go up the bank over unpacked soil and leave scars/tracks on the hill side. They say we should not cut new tracks across open land, claiming this is not Treading Lightly. I'm not kidding-- they're concerned w/ this to the point Bud may get closed soon for 'administrative' reasons; translation? Closed for good. Several Hills Angels are meeting with the USFS in Carson City later this month to appeal this planned closure decision. We're also appealing the now closed status of Zukes Canyon. Out near one of my favorite hunting spots north of high rock canyon, one may see where some j4x4 long ago came down the face of a hillside-- up close its getting all grown over, but nonetheless, from miles away u can clearly see the tracks cut into the hillside like 30 uears ago.

Please for the sake of our future access and enjoyment, try to stay on designated trails and not go cross country. We don't want to give the anti-access folks any ammunition.

JMO

mb

j33p3r

Sorry if I stressed anybody in our wheeling community.

I had no priory knowledge of the trail other than location. I didn?t know if it was a grade 1 or a grade 5. I would have liked to have had a partner but wasn?t going to let that get in the way of adventure. There is something exciting about going into the unknown. The purist ascents are that of an onsite (never seen no info) with out any prior beta about every obstacle. Granted it might have not been the most prudent style of ascent going solo but given the proximity to be able to walk out it did not seem reckless. It was fun not knowing what the next turn would bring. The crux of the trail is at the end which if fitting of a great trail. My decision to escape was made in the name of safety for me and my passenger.

Given the difficulty of the last obstacle compared to the trail leading up to it.
One suggestion would be to have a designated escape route to contain any traffic out of the canyon. This route would have a purpose not just another trail being made through open area.

Another suggestion might be to have a permanent winch anchor at the crux. We could drag another abandon car to the top of the third waterfall like the one at the 1st waterfall (just kidding). I don?t think I was the first to escape nor the last.

Thanks mb for your JMO

JH

j33p3r

Hey Tony Thanks for all your contagious enthusiasm I enjoy reading your posts on this forum.
After further investigation it looks like the Saturday of the BC Run is on one of the few that we don?t have a Saturday commitment. We should be there.

PizzaJeep

AWESOME!!!!! im so excited now.. that totally made the trip that much better already!!! whatcha doing this weeked?? im going out to the moonrocks with friends, and gunna bash up my jeep a little.. your more than welcome to come, in fact i insist that you be there.. saturday afternoon.. if you dont have anything else better to do, or can get out of stuff... drop by, meet some of my guys and watch me do some incredibly stupid things that i would never recommend doing to your super cool jeeper!
talk to ya soon tony

dye_dan

There is probalby an obvious answer to this, but I've never been to bud canyon so I wouldn't know. If you reach a spot like the 3rd waterfall that you can't do, can't you turn around and go back? Or is it too steep and/or narrow to turn around? Just curious. I'd like to try it, but I'm sure I can't make that last waterfall if your jeep couldn't.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
dye_dan said:
There is probalby an obvious answer to this, but I've never been to bud canyon so I wouldn't know. If you reach a spot like the 3rd waterfall that you can't do, can't you turn around and go back? Or is it too steep and/or narrow to turn around? Just curious. I'd like to try it, but I'm sure I can't make that last waterfall if your jeep couldn't.

if there was a place to make a 90 degree turn to drive out, then why not another 90 degree turn and head back out down the trail? it might be fun going down those waterfalls..... :eek:

RARECJ8

Denis said:
if there was a place to make a 90 degree turn to drive out, then why not another 90 degree turn and head back out down the trail? it might be fun going down those waterfalls..... :eek:

amen Denis.

mb

PizzaJeep

im soo sorry about that... i swear i put it in [email protected]!!!

wow hell ya that was fun though.. i loved every moment of it.. i had a few issues that did require the use of my winch to slide over some rocks that i didnt approach correctly, but other than that, i backed up and pulled the rear diff cover lip back on the bottom side, it started leaking really slowly, though tightening up the screws some more slowed it down quite a bit. The easy solution was to go to the pNp on fri morning and grab a cover off the front of another jeep or chevy dana 44... $3.50... and you cant buy them that thick at the auto parts store... it beats that stupid chrome one that i was sporting for a while..