Build it or buy it?

Dirty Harry

Staff member
So after spending some time with Rod Hall and talking to Samco now I want to get a pre-runner. :D The question is (and it is all hypothetical at this point because I don't have the cash)- Get a stock truck and build it or buy something already built? I know how much money I have in my rockcrawler :eek: and after seeing what people sell vehicles for on Pirate sometimes I just wish I bought someone else's ride. At the same time, I've seen some booty fab work and I like that no one else out there has a truck like mine. I'm also worked about getting something that has been pounded out on a race course.

Any thoughts?

MR.ROCKAPE

Build It If You Posses The Skillz,cause Then Its Exactly The Way You Want It!!!and If You Crash And Hurt Your Self, Or Not, It Was All Your Doing.

NevadaXJ

I wil never be a position to build or buy, either a buggy or a pre-runner, although if it were me, I would want to build it. That way you know every inch of it, and where it's strengths and weaknesses lie.

Baja or Bust

I would build it or have some one in town do it. Sam at SAMCO know whats up. I dont really know anybody eles that is in to makeing prerunners in this town, hes also got alot pics of truck for ideas.

rusty_tlc

How about something in between? Maybe look for somebodies project that they couldn't finish? You see stuff like that on Mud and Pirates from time to time. That way you get parts cheaper that haven't been beaten to death. It might be more work than starting fresh, since you may wind up redoing their stuff.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I would just buy one. I know next to nothing about building pre-runners. Even if I decided to build one, I would spend way too much time researching it, then gathering parts, then putting it together, I'd be 80 by the time I got to use it.

Isn't your Yota still under construction? Just think, you'll have two unfinished projects.

Is there a place in HI for pre-running? One jump and you're on the other side of the island. Brings a new meaning to the phrase "island hopping". :rolling:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Yeah Denis, my Yota is still unfinished. I will not be starting any more projects until that one is usable. I've even considering just chaning the suspension on it so that it can serve double duty in the rocks and the desert.

Not really any place out here for pre-running, I am already planning for when I return in a few years. There does seem to be some wheeling out here though, lots of rutted two tracks leading up to the volcanoes and down to secluded beaches. I haven't seen anything too terribly difficult yet but to be truthful I haven't looked that hard yet.