Bumpsteer

Spence621

I have issues with bumpsteer on my 2001 4Runner. It's stock for now, but I'll eventually get a 2-3" lift. Is there anything I can do to resolve the issue? I know when you put in a lift you can get a steering stabilizer, but is there anything I can do otherwise, as in driving Technique? :confused:
Thanks

owenst7

Stabilizer has nothing to do with bumpsteer...or anything for that matter. All it will do is dampen feedback that shouldn't be there in the first place.

The only thing you can do with IFS to change bumpsteer or roll steer is reduce the angle the tie rods are at or increase their length. Neither of these are going to make any sense to do.

If you have noticeable bump steer on a totally stock IFS suspension there is something wrong.

RockRunner02

Stabilizer has nothing to do with bumpsteer...or anything for that matter. All it will do is dampen feedback that shouldn't be there in the first place.

The only thing you can do with IFS to change bumpsteer or roll steer is reduce the angle the tie rods are at or increase their length. Neither of these are going to make any sense to do.

If you have noticeable bump steer on a totally stock IFS suspension there is something wrong.

Agreed. There really isn't any cause of unusual bumpsteer on a stock IFS rig. If it does feel like it has changed you most likely have something wrong. BTW a stabilizer cannot be used on a gen3 because they have rack and pinion steering.

Read this-->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_Steer

jfrey123

Bump steer on a stock IFS vehicle with a rack and pinion? Me thinks there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed now, that shouldn't happen.

owenst7

On second thought, you won't get bump steer with any IFS because the control arms and tie rods are all the same length. Under a bump condition, the toe will change equally on both tires. You can still have roll steer, but it is way less apparent because the tie rods and control arms travel in very close to the same arc.

Last edited:

Spence621

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing then. It's when going through ruts or when on a slideslope, my wheel is turned very sharply, but I'm going straight forward.

RockRunner02

HUH? Sounds like you are just sliding... can we get more explaining.... please

BTW: whats up with your sig? 2001 4Runner SR5 22RE 3.4L. Am I missing something?

owenst7

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing then. It's when going through ruts or when on a slideslope, my wheel is turned very sharply, but I'm going straight forward.

lol you mean when you turn the tires and they won't bite their way up and out of a rut? That's just what happens when you don't have enough tire. Pick a better line or get more aggressive tires. You can air them down which will help the tread clean and increase contact patch but street tires probably aren't going to get you through any more difficult terrain unless you air down almost flat, which doesn't sound like the best idea in your situation.

nothing to do with suspension or steering geometry here haha

Spence621

Also, I apologize for my ignorance, I'm still learning, it's why I'm here. It did happen today on sloped mud/snow, so slipping might make sense. But it happens otherwise, mostly when I'm in ruts or stuff like that.

RockRunner02

I thought I saw that somewhere, I looked it up, it's actually 5VZ-FE.
There ya go much better. Speaking of have you done any mods to the engine yet?

Also, I apologize for my ignorance, I'm still learning, it's why I'm here. It did happen today on sloped mud/snow, so slipping might make sense. But it happens otherwise, mostly when I'm in ruts or stuff like that.

Ya you just have to get used to the way the truck acts when your wheelin. It will act a lot different then "normal".

nameless

on my ifs rig/ any rig, when you're in a rut, you're in a rut... just gotta try to stay outta them!

that being said, Dan, today was my 21'st, if i'm ever out your way we gotta get a drink man, been a while!!! :thumbsup:

RockRunner02

on my ifs rig/ any rig, when you're in a rut, you're in a rut... just gotta try to stay outta them!

that being said, Dan, today was my 21'st, if i'm ever out your way we gotta get a drink man, been a while!!! :thumbsup:

Holy fawk! 21! Happy b-day! Why the hell are you here and not out get fubar??? Why dont you bring that MJ out here and do some wheelin. The Runner looks a lot different now.