Buying a handgun, part 2 - bought

kairo

Staff member
if you really want to learn your weapon find some schools that teach tactical pistol fighting.

most folks that own a gun don't understand it's potential.
by that I mean , it's like martial arts, if you don't train it's pretty much just talk and just enough knowledge to get yourself really hurt,

just like owning a pet, you have to feed it (ammo), clean it, take it for walks (shoot it), train it to do what you want (actual real life training, not static range time) and buy it toys, like extra mags, holsters, cleaning kit, and usually better sights.

but all in all your choice was not a bad one for a statrter pistol. when you outgrow it, don't sell it, just buy a better weapon (upscale)

oh and 8 rounds of 45 suck when your faced with 10 attackers, but most folks will never see even one so just have fun with your toy.:thumbsup:
Holy old thread batman!

You've made some excellent points here. Do you have any recommendations for tactical training here in town? I would love to get some more training above and beyond the basic ccw class.

4x Adventurer

if you really want to learn your weapon find some schools that teach tactical pistol fighting.

most folks that own a gun don't understand it's potential.
by that I mean , it's like martial arts, if you don't train it's pretty much just talk and just enough knowledge to get yourself really hurt,

just like owning a pet, you have to feed it (ammo), clean it, take it for walks (shoot it), train it to do what you want (actual real life training, not static range time) and buy it toys, like extra mags, holsters, cleaning kit, and usually better sights.

but all in all your choice was not a bad one for a statrter pistol. when you outgrow it, don't sell it, just buy a better weapon (upscale)

oh and 8 rounds of 45 suck when your faced with 10 attackers, but most folks will never see even one so just have fun with your toy.:thumbsup:

Good advice from Bulletproof! A good place to shoot is the range out on Pyramid hwy. The range Master is Dick Beck, he's friendly and very knowledgeable.

The way to become a better driver is to burn gas, the way to become a better shooter is to throw lead! ;)

http://www.ipsc.org/whatipsc.htm Years ago there was a club that shoot in Reno, I have no idea if they still exist. This stuff is great fun. Check into shooting a match! Also http://www.uspsa.org/

Last edited:

Bulletproof

ok, well I'm new to this site and I guess some threads are a lot older than I thought :scratch:
and yes there is a great school that comes to town from time to time. the school is Tactical Response. they're out of tennessee, but travel the country / world, giving classes.

they are NOT a static shooting school. be prepared to go through about 1000 to 1500 rounds in a weekend, get real dirty, a little bloody, and tired. you run, shoot, dive, get yelled at drill instructor style, (it's fun, not demeaning) and learn if your pistola is worth a crap or just a paperweight. the school is $400.00 for two days of serious training.

look them up on the web at www.tacticalresponse.com.

I love the XD9, I have one but I am moving to the glock platform myself.

good luck and good shooting.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Hehe I just got one of the XD45's springfield is putting out and it holds one more round at 13 in the mag, than my XD.40 holds, and seems to have less recoil, strange eh? The best part is the grip isn't even any bigger than the XD.40's grip

kairo

Staff member
I love the XD9, I have one but I am moving to the glock platform myself.

good luck and good shooting.
haha. You're the first person I've ever heard of going FROM the XD to the glock. Usually it's the other way around

haleyanthony

The XD's are great. I have 2. A 9mm for my wife and the 45 ACP for me. I've had the 45 since January and it is a super gun. Lots of very big bullet's. Get a Fobus holster for it and a 3rd mag and you can have a mini war. I find myself wanting a Quality 1911 though. I'm a big 1911 fan. But I guess that is why the XD was a natural fit.
haley

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
ya thats true, I had a glock 19 9mm and then i went and got 3 different springfields. And the guys at the gun trader told me the only people they sell glocks to anymore are the people that come in after watchin a movie and "have to have a glock" lol. I really like the trigger pull better. and hey 13 rounds of 45acp in a magazine and still bein able to hold onto the grip is pretty bad ass to me

NevadaXJ

Wow, 14 years ago. Yes, clips. It was my very first gun and a steaming pile of shit....lol. Excuse me for not being Rambo number 1 operator right out of the gate.

It's amazing that have bought, sold and traded well over 100 guns since then. It has also been about 3 years since I have even shot one.