California Turkey Hunting

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of some turkey hunting spots in Northern California?

I have never been but I am planning on going and will be doing some scouting before hand. After some internet research I am looking at Nevada and Lake county areas so far.

Thanks in advance.

Mark O

I'm trying to find out some information on this also. I have my In-laws that lived down there for the last 10 years calling friends ect trying to find a spot to go. I'll let you know if I find out any information.

Update

I tried to go scouting a few weeks ago but it rained all weekend so that was a bust. I had to visit some frineds in Lake county last weekend so we decided to get in some turkey hunting as well. Had a great time, beautiful country, but not a turkey to be had, heard, or seen. We hit some burn areas from the fire there last year but nothing serious. I think the birds just havent returned from when they escaped the fire. We went to the Cache Creek Wildness area.

Before we left I talked to BLM and the wildlife biologists. All were very nice and helpful and I would encourage anyone to call and talk to them.

http://www.arwhead.com/calhunt/turkey.html

this website had some good but old info

also check out the Jay Scott Outdoors podcast on Itunes for some turkey hunting tips and knowledge. Really good podcast.