Trail Run Can a 2001 Stock 4Runner SR5 run the entire HLT

Spence621

Can a 2001 Stock 4Runner SR5 run the entire HLT? I've never been up it before and I'm worried I could hit a rough section and get stuck or something.

RARECJ8

when the trail is dry, easy. if its got snow, then maybe, but bring a friend and a winch. Wait a few more weeks and u can easily sail thru the entire trail w/ ease.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I drove to the "lake" and back in my stock 2004 Titan. tagged the running board couple times coming down B loop, otherwise it's easy.

Battlecock

Last summer there was a guy tooling around on HLT in an 80's Subaru Justy. If he can do it. you can do it

GO4X4IT

Yea, its got a Cummins
Staff member
Ive done it in a stock XJ, WJ, ZJ, an ext. cab long bed 3/4ton ram with stock 245's and a 03 4Runner :cool:
A buddy did it in his stock Frontier..

You shouldnt have issues.

trainwreck

no more snow all the way to hunter lake from the castleridge entrance, just ran it today...not sure about the verdi side. it will be a rough ride towards the top, lots of rocks exposed right now

94XJsport

did that trial last year with my buddys stock 07 tacoma wanna do it again soon.. speaking of that does anybody know if that trail branchs out towards the left and goes over to mount rose galena area or does it just drop you back down in verdi

Bitosin

.. speaking of that does anybody know if that trail branchs out towards the left and goes over to mount rose galena area or does it just drop you back down in verdi

Good question...That sounds like it would be a good "mountain trail" to run...If the answer is yes and somebody knows the way, lets get a run going (Sun or Mon is good for me !)

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
HLT does not connect with Mount Rose/Galena. There is a trail that goes along the base of the mountain from Thomas Creek/Whites Creek and it will drop you out at Lakeside Drive about 1/4 mile from Windy Hill.

GO4X4IT

Yea, its got a Cummins
Staff member
did that trial last year with my buddys stock 07 tacoma wanna do it again soon.. speaking of that does anybody know if that trail branchs out towards the left and goes over to mount rose galena area or does it just drop you back down in verdi

A few friends and I tried this past winter to no avail. There are hiking trails and some dirtbike singletracks but no vehicle roads

jfrey123

Wheres that epic picture of your rig in the ruts :cool:

Almost forgot about that part... That was fun. To the OP, it's way more mild than these pictures make it look, but HLT affords the opportunity to goof off a little bit.

hlt_33.jpg

hlt_31.jpg

hlt_30.jpg

Yeti

You can actually take HLT from Pinehaven Rd. to Hirschdale Rd. up by Boca Reservoir.

And you can link that to the top of HWY 267 plus go to the East side of Kings Beach, exiting right below the Crystal Bay Fire Lookout.