Canine rattle snake vaccine

rusty_tlc

Rattle Snake Vaccine

I saw it advertised in the vets office when Jake was in for shots last week. about $20 for six months, I'm getting Jake done next spring. I'd say its a great idea if you take your dogs in the hills with you. I know Jake sniffs every bush and squirrel hole he finds he's bound to find a snake sooner or later.

kairo

Staff member
if it'll work on dogs......why won't it work on humans? Or is there some sort of vaccine people can get too?

rusty_tlc

kairo said:
if it'll work on dogs......why won't it work on humans? Or is there some sort of vaccine people can get too?
The FDA approval process is a lot more difficult than what stuff goes through for use with pets.

Anyway I've never had to worry about it in fourty years living in the desert. I have had more than a few close calls with dogs. They poke into a lot more snakey places than we do.

scottb

yeah i've had some close calls but my girlfriends dog always has more! i hope not to feel that burning through my veins! sometimes it's good the FDA takes a lot of time to approve stuff, cause it wouldnt be any good if it made you immune to snakebite but destroyed your liver... then again sometimes it really sucks it takes so long. someone told me like 5 years for approval.

Fish Sticks

Anybody know what the price of a rattler bite is? I've heard humans can require as many as 20 doses of antivenom at $1000 bucks a shot.