Carrying while hiking/backpacking

BurbanHunter

What are they legal issues of carrying a firearm while hiking/backpacking?

Can you put it in your pack?

Visible on your hip?

Unloaded :)rolleyes:)?

I hike a lot in Commi-fornia and am planning a backpacking trip in the redwoods. I just want to be safe and legal.

kairo

Staff member
What are they legal issues of carrying a firearm while hiking/backpacking?

Can you put it in your pack?

Visible on your hip?

Unloaded :)rolleyes:)?

I hike a lot in Commi-fornia and am planning a backpacking trip in the redwoods. I just want to be safe and legal.
you can't in CA unless you have a CCW

RARECJ8

Premium Member
open carry is generally fine unless ur in a city that specifically prohibits it, like san fransicko. some national parks also prohibit firearms aswell. if ur in ? USFS lands open carry should be fine. Expect scrutiny if u go during hunting season. General prohibition is concealed carry on ur person. A backpack is iffy-- they will need probable cause to search ur pack, so don;t give them PC. its especially iffy if the pistol is loaded in the pack. if the ammo is in a different compartment you might be ok.

google is ur friend here, so good luck.

here is a start...

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080125223753AAU5q6t

mb

Last edited:

BigNorm

Two Words...

Claude Dallas.

Don't let em push you around... a backpack should be ideal.
I don't get the refference. I just googled old Claude and he was convicted of shooting two game wardens when they came into his camp to site him on poaching infringements. Not trying to talk ****. I just want to see your point.

BurbanHunter

Or you could just stay the hell out of CA and you wont have to ask dumb questions and worry about being safe:thumbsup: BTW, Im a commi-fornia resident;)
:rolleyes: I'm originally from California. And a question about obeying the law is NEVER dumb. I think a lot of people on here feel the same way.

But it's ok... I don't expect you to understand

rundovr

t-thunder you worry me, please don't avocate any violence against lawenforcement officers. the slaughter of two law enforcement officers by a true criminal is not a commendable attribute, or a joke.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
i'm goign to be camping in cali for memorial day weekend...and i'll be doin the back pack thing cause if i'm in the woods deep droppin a duece i'm not going to try and fend a bear off with a stick and whatnot. i'd rather risk going to jail for having it in a back pack they need a search warrent or probable cause to get into. its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :thumbsup: