CB Antenna Suggestions

Scrub

Ok i just got cheapy CB off of ebay, now i need a decent antenna cheap. anyone have any suggestion on where to get one?

Thanks
-Matt-

t wrecks

The best place for price and selection that I have found for anything CB is Sierra Sids. Radio Shack sucks.

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
cb

I bought a magnet mount one from RS for 25.00 -does the job, but theose damn trees keep on knocking it down on the Peavine run! :yup:

rusty_tlc

BigNorm said:
I've got a firestick laying around. Make an offer. :)
Fire Stick is the best bang for the buck.

Go cheap on a radio but don't cut corners on the antenna or cable. A thirty dollar Radio Shlock cb with a good antenna will do you better than a high end Cobra with a POS antenna.

Unless you have a VSWR meter don't try to make your own cable.

If you don't know what a VSWR meter is buy a pre-made cable.

When you install don't coil the extra cable up in one big roll, it can act like an RF choke and reduce your signal. Try to spread the extra cable into a few smaller loops.

Disclaimer: I'm not an RF engineer, but I saw one on TV.

Connect

Ok Mr. Expert :)

I don't know what it is I have against cb but I would never install one in my jeep. It just brings the term Red Neck to mind...

Norm the Big

I don't know what it is I have against cb but I would never install one in my jeep. It just brings the term Red Neck to mind...

I'd think that'd be a reason TO install one. :gapteeth:
IM001255.jpg

rusty_tlc

Connect said:
Ok Mr. Expert :)

I only installed one when I started doing club runs. I got tired of being the only one who didn't know what was going on.

CB's are pretty usless for anything other than line of sight communication. After the close call this weekend on Fordyce I'm considering a 2M set again. Using repeaters you could actually call for help with a 2M set. Then I can have two antennas, and be twice as redneck as everybody else. :D

rusty_tlc

davidt said:
what close call?
Somebody laid a rig over on its side, passenger got her foot outside. She was lucky, the Cruiser was balanced on the front driver rear passenger tires you could move it with one hand. And they were in a mud hole so the ground was soft.

Connect

If I get one I want it to be handheld so I don't have to drill holes and mount twin antenneas and get a call sign like rubber ducky...

rusty_tlc

Yeah Connect you wouldn't want to use a silly call sign. Would you Connect. :D :D

The hand held CB's aren't worth the money. You can't build a good antenna for that frequency that short.

Scrub

Yea i got a Radio off ebay for $20 im just figuring out what i want to do with the antenna, i really dont like the magnet mount ones and yes i do know what a SWR and VSWR is but no i dont have one :(

oh and I Dont think that CB antenna's are what make you 'Redneck' i think that there is alot more too it :disagree:

rusty_tlc

Scrub said:
Yea i got a Radio off ebay for $20 im just figuring out what i want to do with the antenna, i really dont like the magnet mount ones and yes i do know what a SWR and VSWR is but no i dont have one :(

oh and I Dont think that CB antenna's are what make you 'Redneck' i think that there is alot more too it :disagree:
We could talk it over under the bug zapper with a six pack. :D

Connect

Oh it doesn't bring the red necks out? Just look at "Big Norm" with his bigol ford and firesticks...

hahaha

rusty_tlc

Connect said:
Oh it doesn't bring the red necks out? Just look at "Big Norm" with his bigol ford and firesticks...

hahaha
So what's the problem with rednecks?

You think a bunch of preppies/yuppies were sitting around one day and said "Hey lets jack this here truck up way high and throw some tractor tires under it." ? :disagree:

I think Red necks pretty much invented wheeling the way it is today.

Connect

Sure they probably ivented wheeling, but the mud bogging pedal to the floor type, I think trail and rockcrawling are white collar versions :)