CCW permit

kairo

Staff member
Does anyone here have one that they got in Nevada. No need to reply to this thread, don't expose yourself :nervous: If anybody who has one could send me a PM about where you took the class, the cost, and other such nonsense, I'd be most appreciative. I'm saving up so I can get a Glock 27 on my 21 birthday. .40 should be sufficient I think. I have no desire to concealed carry. I just want the permit before they do away with them entirely :rolleyes: :nuke:

kairo

Staff member
Rafterman said:
Why a CCW? Very limiting on you current freedom.

I'm not real informed on the subject, but I was under the impression that you couldent carry a concealed handgun without a permit?

Rafterman

kairo said:
I'm not real informed on the subject, but I was under the impression that you couldent carry a concealed handgun without a permit?
you can't. The permit puts alot of resonsability on you as the carrier. The course is great take it then decide if you wan't all the BS. Call with any questions you may have. you still have my card?

Connect

I thought in nevada you only had to be 18! or is that just to own it, CCW is 21?

I heard it was like $400 every year or two (unbelievable) for the permit.

You can carry just don't conceal it (ie wasteband under a seat, in the glovebox. I'd keep it in its carrying case on the back seat, the cops won't give you any trouble if your transporting it or going to/from a range or open area.

Rock Raptor

Actually the class averages 50 to 100 bucks at least in the Fallon Area. If your getting the permit for the first time, you give the NHP 39 bucks for the fingerprinting and the Sheriffs Office 60 bucks for the permit. The Sheriff has 120 days to grant or deny your permit, but have to grant or deny the permit in that time even if the background check is not completed.

To get the permit there is about 5 pages of stuff you got to fill out, and then you turn in the paperwork after you take the class (which averages 8 hours including qualifiying) along with all monies which are non-refundable if you get denied, but the issuing agency has to give you cause for denial. Any Domestic Violence arrests, or a felony, and a host of other stuff will get you denied, including being late on child support payments.

Once they get money, run their background checks, it's a waiting game till they decide. When I first applied, it was 120 days to the day that I got mine in the mail.

Currently (at least in Churchill County), you have to renew every 5 years by re-taking the class (here it's 50 bucks), qualifying, then filling out a short form along with 25 bucks for the renewal. You are re-fingerprinted, but get the permit immediately unless something comes up in NCIC.

I do not conceal carry that often, but it is illegal to carry a gun concealed (loaded or unloaded) in a motor vehicle without the permit. I carry a 45 in a quick release holster in my rig well out of site of anyone, so even if I didn't carry concealed on my person, the permit is worth it just to know you don't have to worry about where it is in the trail rig.

As far as age requirements: You have to be 18 too buy and possess a rifle or shotgun. You must be 21 to possess a handgun and get the permit.
A good class will tell you where you can carry, where you cannot, consequences of your actions, how to hold, stand, shoot, where the best places are to carry, the 7 yard rule, etc......

My first class was by a Retired FBI agent, and he actually taught me how to shoot more accurately. I would recommend the class even if you don't get a permit, since you may never know when you got to put the skills taught to the test in your own home.

Mike

flyboy

Hey,
My wife and I both went through Sierra Fire arms academy with Mike ( they teach out at the pyramid range). Hes a pretty good friend of mine. He used to compete in cowboy action shooting, and he now competes doing tactical shooting.
He's a cop, and I say this, cuz he gets into all of the legal stuff in the class. Its very informative, and I highly recommend it.
Im much like rock raptor, but I carry concealed quite often. You never know whats going to happen. For example...My wife had to brandish hers one morning when a guy came after her in the parking garage and actually grabbed for her...Thankfully she had it, and he took off RUNNUN. I had a near brandishing experience one night after work with a car FULL of Gang Bangers...They started talking crap at a stop light, and I eased my hand on to my pistol and prayed for the light to turn GREEN...Fortunately it did and i booked out, and they went LEFT.
Im a staunch advocate of CCW's. Its definately a privilage/ right that we have here, that should NOT be passed up:thumbsup: .
Unless it has changed, you re-new every five years. I got mine in 03' and I renew on 08'.
If you have any additonal questions, or want to get hold of Mike, e mail me...I dont quite know how to use the PM thing.

Flyboy

Last edited:

Scrub

I've been through the class (got the guys name from Sportsmans) good class and cost me $70 took a whole saturday afternoon. I Just need to put in my app and go for my fingerprints and all that.......i just havent done it yet cause i hate spending money

But i would recommend going through the class either way as it provides good knowledge.

NevadaXJ

xjmoser said:
John have you taken the course yet?

Not yet, I was kinda gioing to wait until I get a .45, so I can put both it, and my 9mm on the permit. I'll be getting the .45 with my income tax return.

kairo

Staff member
yep. ready whenever. I picked up a card of a guy to call too, unless you guys have a place to go

xjmoser

Armed & Safe $80.per unless ther are 4 or more then $70.per

They have a machinegun shoot after every ccw class.

www.mustangerange.com

Are you guys up for sat, March 11th?

its pretty good drive but the machinegun shoot sounds like fun.

Or

Semper Firearms $100per if more than one. He will come to us. so ther will not be a room full of people just us. he will meet us anywere.

www.semperfirearms.com

Or ?

I dont care just want to get going on this. After the class and submitting to the sheriffs office it can take up to 120days.

Mongo720

Ok, did you find out how much the sherrif's office charges for a backround check? I remember back in the day when I was a kid and my mom got her ccw. she had to pay for the class then pay the sherriff for the background check. I'm down to get mine too.

xjmoser

Mongo720 said:
Ok, did you find out how much the sherrif's office charges for a backround check? I remember back in the day when I was a kid and my mom got her ccw. she had to pay for the class then pay the sherriff for the background check. I'm down to get mine too.

$105.00

kairo

Staff member
Tom,
I'm down to do whichever. My dad (and possibly my mom) have expressed interest in doing this as well. March would work for us too. Your call as to where. I'll just show up :D

Scrub

xjmoser said:
Armed & Safe $80.per unless ther are 4 or more then $70.per

They have a machinegun shoot after every ccw class.

www.mustangerange.com

Are you guys up for sat, March 11th?

its pretty good drive but the machinegun shoot sounds like fun.

Or

Semper Firearms $100per if more than one. He will come to us. so ther will not be a room full of people just us. he will meet us anywere.

www.semperfirearms.com

Or ?

I dont care just want to get going on this. After the class and submitting to the sheriffs office it can take up to 120days.

Well the armed and safe one sounds like the best bet since we seem to have more than 4 people. and its a plus with the Machine Gun :D

but i'm down with whatever works for everyone else.

just tell me when and where and i'll be there.