center limit strap.

kairo

Staff member
pros: stops axle from falling off and losing coil springs :O
Cons: could get caught in something and wreck it?? driveshaft? I dont know. Only guys I've seen use limit straps were the buggies cause they may droop an axle and dont want it falling out the back of the rig

Samco Fab

Center limit strap will not limit articulation, but will limit the complete axles droop. If you have driveshaft bind issues, or want to limit torque rise from mabye excessive antisquat, or brake dive/rise, but do not want to limit articulation the center limit strap would work. Good question, I would like to hear more about it myself. :yes:

rusty_tlc

Here is what I've learned so far from web wheeling.
Rear center limit will help keep your back end down on steep drop overs.
Front center limit does the same up hill.
Cinch straps (think center limit strap with a winch) put the suspension into compression and can be use front, rear or both for even better results. Cinching both front and rear reduces hop on steep level up hill terrain,

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
samco fab said:
Center limit strap will not limit articulation, but will limit the complete axles droop. If you have driveshaft bind issues, or want to limit torque rise from mabye excessive antisquat, or brake dive/rise, but do not want to limit articulation the center limit strap would work. Good question, I would like to hear more about it myself. :yes:

Theoretically, center limit strap will limit articulation to a certain extent. When one end of the axle is on the bumpstop the other end will still droop only as much as a limit strap will allow, no matter where the strap is mounted. Here's a quick doodle of what I'm trying to say.

Attachments

• strap01.gif
    strap01.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 413

rusty_tlc

Wouldn't you put you rig in full flex, measure the distance from the axle mount to the cross member mount, then make the strap a tad longer? That way you wouldn't loose any articulation.

MR.ROCKAPE

I have a center limit strap on my buggy,its main use is to not let the airshoxs unload on decends.But it also helps on climbs too(no not because of too much anti-squat)if one tire droops in a crack and then it droops too far it will unload(changing the weight transfer) the rest of the suspension,possibly causing a rollover.So on my setup, yes it does limit some articulation but if you are locked at both ends it usually doesnt matter.

kairo

Staff member
your leaves can't allow an axle to come "unhinged" the way coils will. no need for it on a leaf-spring rig

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
I'm wondering if it would be worth while on my POS with leaf suspension.

no, unless you're running scissor or revolver type shackles or buggy leaves (3/4 elliptic).