Changing the XJ's diff fluid, what do I need?

NevadaXJ

What fluid should I get? How much? What RTV should I use to remake a gasket, or should I buy a gasket? Do I need to replace the plug in the diffs, or can I reuse them? Where would I get the plugs? Should I clean the gears with something, if so, what should I use? What are the torq specs for the bolts for the cover?

I have never done this before, but my rear one is leaking from the plug I think, so I should probably just get it done with....

kairo

Staff member
that's a tall order :) I'll tell you what I know:
Not sure the exact spec on the gear oil (somoene will know) I use slightly heavier stuff to keep my locker quieter. You dont need to change the plug(s) Blue RTV is what I use as a gasket. It doesn't leak. Just make sure you get the old gasket off real well. Once the cover is off, I usually run a magnet all around to pick up any left over pieces. I dont know if you'd want to chemically clean any of the gears, but wiping them with a towel doesn't hurt. It's a pretty straightforward process. Torque the cover bolts to I think 40 lbs. It doesn't really matter though as long as they're tight.

You fill the diff up by putting the cover on, and filling it with fluid until it starts to leak out the hole. Usually about a bottle and a half of stuff for me.

NevadaXJ

So when I am at the store, will the bottles specifically say "gear oil"? Are there different weights of gear oil, like with engine oil?

xjmoser

NevadaXJ said:
So when I am at the store, will the bottles specifically say "gear oil"? Are there different weights of gear oil, like with engine oil?

Yes they say gear oil. Yes there is different weights. t should be something like 90 weight.