Cheap Truck!! 84 Wronco

3rd Petal

Member
Nice to see you didn't have to buy 6 shocks. My 92 has the stock dual front shock setup.
It actually is a factory dual front shock setup. But I only bought one for each corner. The extra shocks don't really do anything, at least not for the purposes of this rig
 

Jiggerman

New member
I wanted to run all KYB Monomax, until I noticed how many I had to buy, plus I need new springs, kind of sagging in front. Good luck with the build, I love seeing Broncos come back to life.
 

3rd Petal

Member
A lot of progress since the last update.





First off, a buddy of mine (Dylan8274 on here) has an 8th gen F-series, but he prefers the 7th gen front end style, so I swapped front clips with him.

Then I traded my dad a couple of new trailer tires for a set of used 37x12.50 Interco SSR's he had.

To clear the 37's I picked up a 2" body lift and did some fender trimming





I cut a little bit more than I really needed on the rear, but I figured if I was gonna cut, might as well cut high enough to get rid of the rust






Front clip- Even trade
2" Body lift- $93.65
Tires- Trade for trailer tires ($131.15 value)

Total cost so far- $753.31
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
When you cut the rear fender, did you tie the body panel back into the wheel well ? I also like the new clip.
Not as of yet, I just bent the inner fender well over until it met the fender skin again. I might layer it with body seam sealer, or maybe just leave it loose since its just a trail rig
 

3rd Petal

Member
Last time I was in California I was looking for deals on craigslist, and came across a Belleview 6000 winch for $200, so I picked it up just for this project. All the winch needed was one new bushing, and wire to hook it up. It even came with 150' of cable. Then I made a simple frame width bumper/winch mount out of a mix of 1/8" and 3/16" plate I had laying around from previous projects









Also had a spare battery tray that came with the front clip, so I moved the radiator overflow/windshield washer bottle down the fenderwell a bit to clear a second battery




Winch- $200.00
Wiring/parts for winch- $56.33
Winch bumper- Free, built from scrap
Second battery- Free, came with front clip

Total cost so far- $1009.64
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
If I were to do it over, I would have cut part of the grille out to set the winch back further between the framerails, the way it is now it sticks out a bit further forward than I would like.

I allotted myself $1000 to spend on this project, so this will probably be the last of the major upgrades unless I come across stuff for free, or decide to put more money into it. Hopefully I will get time to wheel this thing a bit now
 

3rd Petal

Member
Did a few more freebie modifications. First I got a ignition cylinder from the parts Thunderbird for my Bronco II v8 swap, so now you can start it with a key.
Also scored some free fog lights from work


Also cut off the stock muffler and cats, and used some left over 2 1/4" exhaust tubing and a small glass pack from the same tbird to make a new exhaust

Some more wheeling pics




 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
I don't think the stock springs are too happy with the current working conditions




I think I'll have to get some Early Bronco coils some time and ditch the spacers
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
Decided to throw a bit more money at it. Got a set of 4" lift Early Bronco coils





Superlift Early Bronco coils- $112.18
Total cost so far- $1121.82
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
Took the thing out to moonrocks a few weeks ago. It did decent, but revealed a few weak points, and some areas that needed improvement.





First off, I found out the factory steering linkage is a little weak for 37's



I also found that my extended radius arms were a little on the weak side



It was also apparent that open diffs and 3.54 gears weren't the greatest in the rocks either
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
First job was to straighten out the driver side radius arm



Then I welded a piece of c channel across the back to keep it from bending again



Then using the highest quality tubing I had laying around, I sleeved the tie rod/drag link




All made from junk I had laying around
 
Last edited:

3rd Petal

Member
Next is the biggest investment this turd will probably ever see, gears and lockers.
Ended up going 5.13's, welding the rear, then just L/S up front since it was the cheapest option

Didn't get any pictures of the locker install, but here is a lame video I took afterwards




Welded rear diff-Free
Auburn Gear D44 limited slip-$284.88
Used 9" 5.14-$89.99
D44 5.13-$142.64

Total cost so far-$1639.33
 
Top