Cheap Truck!! 84 Wronco

3rd Petal

A while ago I got a hold of some supposedly chromoly rear axle shafts. I say supposedly because they claimed to be chromo on RockAuto, but they were cheaper than 1541 shafts, and when they showed up they said Taiwan on them... But over the years I’ve only broken one or two stock ford shafts, so as long as Taiwan chromoly is at least on par with 1980’s fordium, they will probably hold up fine

Also, been working on an ambitious project with a lot of help from my buddy Silas

3rd Petal

Stacked 2 stock shifters to run the doubler and the transfer case. Also made a mount off the back of the doubler to go another crossmember, so the doubler doesn’t have to carry the transfer case

I put the factory skid plate under the doubler, then a tubular crossmember for the doubler mount, and a piece of channel for the transfer case skid

Interesting note, 2 1/2” EMT is almost the exact ID as what Ford used to build their driveshafts, and it’s slightly thicker wall, and much cheaper. Re-tubed the front shaft to be longer, and just shortened the rear

My steering was a bit worn out too, I wanted to build a swing set linkage to correct the horrible geometry of the stock stuff, but just didn’t have the time. The joint at the pitman arm was loose, which is one piece with that tie rod, and then the tapered hole where the y-link comes together was ovaled out. So I cut the worn out end off the tie rod and drilled and tapped it for a 7/8 heim. Then I reamed up the y-link hole and stepped that up to a gm “one ton” tie rod end. Also drilled and tapped my pitman arm for 3/4” and used 3/4” safety misalignment spacers on my heim

3rd Petal

Yeah, they have lots of good ideas on there. I’ve got a plan on how to fix it right, just not the time and money at the moment

3rd Petal

Some more updates from a while ago that I'm just getting around to posting...

Got tired of constantly wearing out steering parts and eating front tires on the street, so I built a swingset linkage for this turd