coil brackets

rockrawler81

i just pulled a 44 from a bronco and it looks like the coil brackets... it acually looks like this where O is the axle tube and < are the coil brackets
<O>
i wish i could give u guys a pick but i dont have a camera :(

do i just grind them off or should i just trade for a different axle all together? or can i just weld the leaf spring perches on top of them??? i just want to make it first the right way!

thanks guys

eric

spoon

Earlier Fords used coil springs in the front with radius arms and a panhard bar to locate the axle. What you are describing sounds like where the radius arms attach to the axle.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
spoon said:
Earlier Fords used coil springs in the front with radius arms and a panhard bar to locate the axle. What you are describing sounds like where the radius arms attach to the axle.

Yeah, the coils actually attach to the top of the radius arms, this sounds like where the radius arms attach to the axle. The high pinion is nice and it is a driver side drop like your YJ, but it is kind of complicated to add a leaf spring perch to the cast housing. That is the only complication (and changing the rear bolt pattern to match the front 5 x5.5). Are you spring under or spring over?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
some of the bronco fronts didn't have an axle tube straight from the pumpkin to the knuckle, the radius arm mounts were cast and connected inner and outer tubes. if that's the case, don't gring the mounts off, or you'll junk the axle. i would suggest to use coils with ford's radius arms. lot's of XJ guys do that, as the bronco 44/9 is a popular swap.

rockrawler81

the bronco is a 79. it is the last year they made the straight axle where the axle tubes go to the knuckle. i already have the 9in from the back...its in good condition. i want to do a spring over all around with a high-steering system. can i just grind off the coil brackets or can i get a new housing from Currie or something?

thanx