coleman instant tent?

POOR BOY

so ive been in the market for a new tent, our old tent was 4 years old and well used, but also a PITA to put up, i ran across the coleman instant tent and wanted to see what everyones thoughts were? i was thinking about getting the 4 person but didnt want it to be two small, but i jsut need room for me, the wife and our small dog. how well do they hold up. which one should i get? any info would be awesome thanks

this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Instant-Set-Up-6-Person-Tent-10-x-9/15843339
or
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Instant-Set-Up-4-Person-Tent-8-x-7/16677081

or http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Instant-10-x-9-Tent-Sleeps-6/19887103

CARONE

I've been looking at this tent as well. The only bad thing I have heard about it that is lack a real rain sheild and during hard rain you may get wet. I think one of the version Walmart sell has an improved design to cambat this issue

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Bitosin used one on the Rubicon run so he has first hand knowledge. i prefer a tent with center height to stand up-- Bills was not that tall to stand up.

troutman

Chris, if I could offer some advice it would be this...Be honest with yourself about what you really need and expect from your tent and how much you will realistically use it, and what the weather conditions would be and lastly the budget involved. Most big store and the more popular sold tents are in the 100.-200 range. They are decent shelters and are 3 season tents, if carefully handled and used they should last for years. If you do hardcore off season camping or camp for extended periods, they will be typically be less than adequate. A casual 3 season tent can be beefed up by adding a protective floor liner, both inside and and between the floor and the ground (as in high end/ 4 season tents). Also, with a casual tent you can beef up the weather worthiness by adding a temporary rhino cloth tarp during periods of heavy rain/snow. Almost any tent that has a full sized fly will be better than a tent without, in the rain. As far as the size I would suggest you get a tent that is big enough ( two feet of footprint can make a big difference in your comfort) to accommodate you and your Gal and your little buddy, in addition to extra gear such as suitcases or duffels and /or any gear you want to stow when it is raining or keep out of sight when you are away from your immediate camp. Chris I could go on for about 10 minutes about these shelters and all the different aspects to consider, but will spare you the pain. Those Coleman instant tents are decent for the casual user and would most likely do fine(get the bigger one). If you want the full skinny on tents PM me and we can set up a phone call. I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

I own: Cabelas' Alaskan Guide Tent...most awesome..expedition quality and truly a Shelter
: Eureka Storm Shield...also awesome
: Kelty Green River... nice for summer use
: Eureka/cabelas' Outback... center pole tent , summer use ,fast set up
: Sierra Design Peak tent...no room fast and small
: and a couple of minimal, low profile cheapos

Last edited:

POOR BOY

i would say its would be mostly a 3 seasons, i dont plan on camping in the winter at all, but i do go just about every other weekend, i was mainly looking at the coleman because i am tired of the fiberglass poles you have to slide threw the sleeves etc. figured its a heavier style tent that looks super easy and fast to put up.

Bitosin

As Mark said, I had the Coleman "4 man" instant tent. I have not put up a tent in over 20 yrs and this one went up easy (without instructions but wasn't too hard to figure out) They say "one minute put up" but realistically it took more like 5 min. the first time. It goes up like an easy-up. Inside height is about 5' so you can't stand up straight inside. Called a "4 man", I'd say it is plenty for two, crowded for three, and I don't know where the fourth would go.

Great for one person...sleeping bag on one side and a "living room" on the other !!! I got mine from Walmart on sale for $50.oo

POOR BOY

As Mark said, I had the Coleman "4 man" instant tent. I have not put up a tent in over 20 yrs and this one went up easy (without instructions but wasn't too hard to figure out) They say "one minute put up" but realistically it took more like 5 min. the first time. It goes up like an easy-up. Inside height is about 5' so you can't stand up straight inside. Called a "4 man", I'd say it is plenty for two, crowded for three, and I don't know where the fourth would go.

Great for one person...sleeping bag on one side and a "living room" on the other !!! I got mine from Walmart on sale for $50.oo
50.00? was that reacently or have you had it, that was the tent i was looking at but its 150.00, all i want ot beable to fit is a queen air mattress with room to throw a duffle bag or two. my current tent only stands 3 feet or so, so the 5 feet would be awesome

troutman

Hahaha, yep that's the rub...tents and poles can be a pain ! Heck My Alaskan guide tent is a full 12-14 minutes to set up with two persons...so I reserve its use for 3 or more days of camping, same with the storm shield...back to your concern, yes fast is nice for sure. The slide in glass poles can be a pain also, there are a few tricks that make it a little less painful, also the sleeves have a tendency to get get pinched/snagged and torn at times and with a lot of UV exposure is one of the first places the material weakens and allows it to easily tear...then become trash. The pole set up on the Coleman Instant appear to be fairly substantial being an exoskeletal design and you could drape/stake a tarp over it to handle "extra" weather. I have had good luck with the cabelas outback with the center pole as its real fast to pitch....lay out square, 4 corner stakes, raise with center pole, fill in the alternate stakes and guy out the sidewalls....nice lighter weight tent and well made but no fly and with a center pole doesn't allow for an Large airbed. Anyway chris that coleman in question nay turn out to be a great choice for you and is only the cost of two nights in a motel ! Good luck

Bitosin

This was little over a week ago and that was the only one we saw on the shelf. You can see the size of a "twin size" air mattress inside.

POOR BOY

This was little over a week ago and that was the only one we saw on the shelf. You can see the size of a "twin size" air mattress inside.
well if thats a twin im sure i wouldnt have a problem with a queen, and PIT, your right, price of a motel except i dont know of any at buck island in the rubicon hahaha

troutman

Here's one more little characteristic about the exoskeletal frame work that's worth mentioning, if you need to add a tarp for rain, it will help support the tarp well off the body of the tent, so they don't touch each other, a desirable aspect, to be effective as a rain fly. And let's face it, "summer camping" in the Sierras, other than some possible showers, is pretty darn mellow.

troutman

well if thats a twin im sure i wouldnt have a problem with a queen, and PIT, your right, price of a motel except i dont know of any at buck island in the rubicon hahaha

Yes thank Gawd, no motels yet......hell, motels are just germ and bed bug factories anyway, I much prefer bears and raccoons and chipmunks !

RARECJ8

Premium Member
I have a Eureka tent i just love. It has61/2' standing room and uses two fiberglass poles, but there are no sleeves-- its all held open by clips on tent that connect to the poles. Easy 5 min set up.

Good luck.

POOR BOY

I have a Eureka tent i just love. It has61/2' standing room and uses two fiberglass poles, but there are no sleeves-- its all held open by clips on tent that connect to the poles. Easy 5 min set up.

Good luck.
i would go for that but every Eureka i found was crazy spendy

RARECJ8

Premium Member
think i paid 150+/- at sheel$. look thru the rubicon scramble pis at page 4 and there are pix of the shelter. even for just me, lots of room for sleep pad, bed roll, duffel bags and other gear.

Flazer

I have the 8 person version from a couple seasons ago. Works well as a summer/family tent, but the downside is that there is no rain fly for mine, and one is not available. We got caught in a surprise thunderstorm at tahoe and got a little wet, but it wasn't the worst I've been through. My wife really likes the ease of set up, we also have the original 2 man instatent from the 80's which has the same drawbacks, good for most applications, but not a hardcore tent

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I have the 8 person version from a couple seasons ago. Works well as a summer/family tent, but the downside is that there is no rain fly for mine, and one is not available. We got caught in a surprise thunderstorm at tahoe and got a little wet, but it wasn't the worst I've been through. My wife really likes the ease of set up, we also have the original 2 man instatent from the 80's which has the same drawbacks, good for most applications, but not a hardcore tent
There is a rain fly available for the all 3 of the instant tents now. I have the 8 person rain fly sitting on my garage floor right now.